Saturday, June 9, 2018

6/8/18 A Thought From My Youth?

    I was just listening to Tom Segura on a Netflix show and he starts going on ab out the new laws in Denver and how one does not have to hide their weed anymore.  This reminded me of the many times my dad would send us to the corner store, which had us crossing a four lane road which did come to a stop a few houses down, but it was still a little dangerous.
    First of all, we live in the center of town, almost.  The courthouse and police department are about 4-5 blocks away, but when we moved into our house, we were surrounded by empty lots, like four of them, which gave us plenty of space to roam and play.  When you are shorter than the wild grass, you can hide in there, build forts or just play hide and seek.  It was pretty cool.  eventually most of the lots got bought, except for the one behind us and to the side.  This was our shortcut to the corner stores.  Thinking of today, I don't think I would let Javalina go walking like that at age 13, yet we did it all the time, way younger than that.  My folks would just say it was different times.
    Back when I was about 10 years old, we would go routinely and get my dad cigarettes, how I didn't pick up the habit, I just don't know.  Not only would he send me to buy them, sometimes he would let me turn them on, to show us how hard it was.  I remember that cold feeling when whatever (nicotine) in the cigarette cleaned your lungs, I should have become addicted to them.  Other than that, the little stores were cool.  We could always go buy candy, or sodas, and all it took was a little loose change, back in the day.
    For a while, one of the stores or buildings was a quickie burger joint.  It wasn't like a Dairy Queen, but one could pick up burgers and fries and they had video games, the real ones that would take a quarter to play.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment