Wednesday, June 13, 2018

6/13/18 Together, Whether Up Or Down?

    This is not another woo-hoo story of Wife and I, I'm sure y'all get tired of hearing how awesome I am and how my back can carry the weight of the world.  Naw, I was talking to an old friend and she brought up another one of my friend's from back in the day and wow, to hear her life story, fuck someone shoot her and hit replay already.  I am not saying we are living a perfect life, we certainly have peaks and valleys we are going through, but some people just appear to have valleys and craters.
    I remember everyone who knew her single, we all recommended her best bet was to leave this guy alone, there was not a winning bone in his body and he would surely be the end of her.  Nobody listens to me, everybody thinks they know better, so whatever, I can look in your eyes and read your future, it is up to you to listen, and people don't.
    Before long, she got knocked up and instead of deciding what to do, her choice was made for her.  The guy benefitted keeping her around because he already had another kid from a chick who decided to split and leave the daughter behind, how bottom of the barrel was she?  My friend instantly became a pregnant mom with an adopted daughter, aged 2 or 3.  I guess nobody was a fan of the guy because everyone in her family was against her staying with him, so he did the next best thing, he stopped her from allowing her to communicate with her family.  I guess it works when your young and dopey, but goddam, read the signs around you.
    At a certain point you can't help people, you just kind of let them fade away.  I heard they were living with his mom and family, so maybe things weren't that bad.  Then we heard a couple months after having her own baby, she managed to get pregnant again, poor people are so good at this, like it's a skill they all carry.  You are already poor, why not be poor poor?  This was not enough of a challenge in life for the dude, he then went and fought with his family, so last I had heard they were staying in a hotel night to night.
    The only other person I have ever known living like this was a black guy who worked day to day at the warehouse where I drove a forklift for a year.  He would show up with his backpack, I guess with his belongings, work all day and sometimes he would ask me for a ride and offer me $10.  I couldn't take his money, he was making like $5 an hour and paying for hotels seemed foolhardy.
    Last week, my friend informing me (gossiping?) said they were still living in motels but that management had stepped in and offered her a chance to work there for the room (apparently, barely getting by and then quitting her gas station job, but I can only imagine 2 adults and 3 little girls in a small box of a room.  Is there a point where these two lovebirds turn it around and make some positive strides?
    I don't gain or lose either way, but damn! I don't like to think people I know suffer like this.  I can't offer them our rooms, the guy is a hot head and not in any way a nice guy, so that is out of the question.  I guess real life tragedies have to exist, and this is just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment