Wednesday, June 27, 2018

6/27/18 Cake, Cool Band Or Cold Killers?

    I was trying to introduce my younger boy to Cake who I was obsessed with back in the 90s and 2000s.  He did not fall in line like Boy did, back in the day.  He heard Satan Is My Motor and thought they were evil or that something dark is going on with the band somehow.  I then explained that Boy loved "Sheep Go To Heaven, Goats Go To Hell" and he said these guys sound guilty of something.  "Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps" sounds like a cruel taunting of a girl not wanting to commit to a man on edge.  'Friend Is A Four Letter Word" is just the girl spitefully refusing him, he almost wishes there was more to what she says, but she will never like him.  I was trying to play some of the lyrics and he stopped me constantly to say see, he is pretty much admitting guilt of a crime.
    Javalina got it in his head that the first album, Fashion Nugget is just an admission by the songwriters of some brutal killings.  I kind of led him from certain song to certain song once he got on a train of thought, but the lyrics are there for anyone to decipher.  Once he heard "Stickshifts and Safetybelts" (buckets seats have all got to go, when I'm sitting with my baby, I need her next to me.)  He says that she could be there, but really he has already made up his mind to kill her and her body is in the trunk, that is why she is not sitting by his side.  He only got more gruesome on the next song, "Italian Leather Sofa" which to me has always been of an old man who remarried a bimbo.  He likes her in silky dresses, she likes his rich man things like his Italian leather sofa, gold watch, etc.  Javalina said the gold watch came from retiring from the murder business, all the phrases of she doesn't care as long as blah blah blah are because she is dead and the only thing bouncing on his Italian Leather Sofa are her and her friend's boobs which this madman has cut off with his "knife with a serrated edge which he moves back and forth."  That one made me say wow and stop for a second.  I then tried to change the tone by saying how about this one, "I Will Survive", starting with "At first I was afraid, I was petrified, I kept thinking I could never live without you by my side...." the boy was on a roll, he said yeah, that was his guilt and then he sang I Will Survive when he realized he had gotten away with it.
    It was almost fun to hear someone else interpret songs I've felt I've known for years and years, but I did not expect my sunshine boy, my Big Boy to think this dark.  We were having fun and I was probably pushing him, like with the last song as he was getting up I said what about "Mexico".  He said easy, that's where you go when you commit a crime, everyone knows that.  The song says "I don't know much about Cinco De Mayo....", yeah, guilty people aren't from there, they just run there to hide.  I love that Javalina is quick like that.
    No disrespect to Cake, I have truly loved their music and it got me through some dark times back in the 90's.  This was my way of playing with my son and getting him to discover a new sound, mostly after Boy's gf said she was not a fan of Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment