Sunday, June 17, 2018

6/17/18 Paying My Part For A 60 Hour Week?

    Man, getting older is no joke.  I used to routinely work extra days to the point of sometimes working six and seven day weeks with no problems other than needing to sleep until afternoon to recuperate.  We haven't had much OT in the last two or three years and it has sucked because I always like making extra money on top of what pays the bills.  OT money is extra and I am then able to do my little pet projects.  I would have still wanted to be focused on doing the floors in our house, but after a long discussion with Wife, who has wanted to live credit card free forever, I am on her side trying to get us there.
    This was a short week and by my judgement and looking at our workload, I didn't believe there would be a reason for OT for me.  Even with two people out in chemistry and FIB/TEM has been down one person for about a month, the work has been moving smoothly.  But now, I guess slowly, TEM has been building up, they don't have a bunch of jobs but because it takes a full shift to prep two or three samples and some of those jobs had 8 and 9 samples, it is a lot of work.  They ended up calling me in for work on Thursday and it was good.  I hadn't gotten involved in TEM work in 6 months.  Then we got a job in chemistry that needed to be turned in 24 hours on Friday morning, so that gave me a second night.
    To show my appreciation, I stayed maybe an extra hour and a half more than I needed to, but it was all good.  It took most of the night to prep and run the samples, I couldn't get them on the analysis tools until they went through the proper prep.  I also needed to make new stock solutions which are needed all the time to help define concentration levels.
    I ended up getting home at 9:00am, and really wanted to stop and get some barbacoa for later when we all got up, but we had an appointment with H&R Block at 1:00pm because the IRS sent us a letter that we owed an extra $1800 from 2016.  I swear they are picking on us, it wasn't more than 5-7 years ago we got audited and they looked at two years and they decided we owed them almost $10,000.  I don't know if it was this easy, but the lady (dare I say wizard) simply sent the IRS a fax letter with a form that we had forgotten to be told was needed with the taxes that year and she said we were fine.  I asked about the $1800, she said no, don't worry.  This clears it up for them.  It almost seemed worth the no sleep until after.  I had promised Javalina lunch at the Crab Shack, which Wife does not like, but we love.  Lunch was great, I love the shrimp po boys, and it was a rare meal with the four of us.
    After this, I thought I was going to take a nap for a couple hours, we have a trip in a couple weeks and I wanted to maybe go get some shorts and shirts.  I got up at 6:30pm, Wife was working on a job application, so I told her to call me when she was ready and before I knew, it was 10:30pm.  We left the house looking for dinner and just decided on Rosa's Tortilla Factory because it is down the street from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment