Friday, June 23, 2017

6/24/17 Celebration For Nephew's Graduation?

    We finally had another graduate in the family.  By family I mean immediate families from whence we both come from.  We are not like your typical Mexican families with tons of kids on both sides of the family.  Boy is the only other graduate, this time it was Wife's younger sister's boy, who just turned eighteen a couple weeks ago.  Anyways, he graduated last week, we went to the graduation at the Alamodome and then we had dinner.
    Tonight was a party more than anything else.  They rented a small "ballroom" type of place with tables set up all around a dance floor and stage where a DJ played the hits all night, from Selena Quintanilla to whatever was cool in the late 90's.  The music was a little dated, but it still worked.
    I thought it was super dorky when he put on Macarena but plenty of people hit the floor to dance in that dopey line dance way and then surprisingly Chubs wanted in.  He wanted me to dare him on the floor, I told him $5 if you go dance with your mom who was dancing with her sisters.  Chubs went in there and it made the song cool afterwards, although it seemed to go on forever.  He played some Spanish music and at one point I tried to go and dance with Wife as she was all over the place, except with me, serving food and talking on the microphone, and serving cake.  We danced a couple of times around for a cumbia and I quickly ran out of breath trying to commandeer her into a series of turns and complicated spins.  I opted out before I embarrassed myself and passed out or something.  I found out I really need to get off my ass and start walking and stop using my leg injury as an excuse.  I am terribly out of shape if I got winded that fast.
    If we got there around 5:30pm (because Wife needed/wanted to help), Boy and his friends got there around 7:30pm.  It was fine, the place was actually pretty big for the size crowd that showed up.  It was the immediate family, family from Crystal City, and some friends of theirs.  I say friends, as I didn't know some of the faces and I have been around this family going on thirty years.  The graduate had almost two table's worth of friends there, mostly boys, but a couple of cute girls too.  It was funny to see the boys go out and try to dance the country stuff, line dancing style, "we don't need no chicks!!" 
    Everyone looked to be having a good time, I always worry a bit, as my boys offer no support for me, Boy had his friends and got there at his time then left early, Chubs runs around until he feels like a wet towel on legs, Wife tries to take over any kitchen duties, and I am left to mingle, but I kind of suck at that.  I sat with my brother in law and we get along OK, then Wife's cousin who we sold the boat to showed up, and he sat with us, telling me how much he loved the boat and thanking me, it is in such great condition.  He has had to buy a couple of things but nothing surprising as I had told him about the battery, the stereo and even possibly the starter.  He is currently obsessed with stuff he can use and showed me some fin things that you hold onto and get pulled behind the boat and the fin actually takes you underwater, it looked crazy and different on the YouTube video.  His sister eventually came and sat with us, and I've known her forever as we were classmates from kinder, and even the other sister's best friend came and joined us, she lived with us for a year or two in our old house, so I stayed surrounded by people I knew, all in all, it was a good night.  We got home around midnight, and I am about ready to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment