Friday, June 2, 2017

6/2/17 Freeway Construction?

    What is the difference between building on I-35 vs. building on a toll road?  Not that we were told, but I looked up what was going on and it seems a lot of construction on I-35, south of Ben White or Highway 71.  It seems they are converting the freeway from a three lane freeway to a four lane freeway to ease congestion during rush hour, I presume.  Traffic seemed tolerable a few years ago before the flyovers, joining HWY 71 to I-35.  It seems day or night, there is a steady flux of vehicular traffic.  Since the people are not slowing down on the feeder lanes and gradually letting vehicles in, it is like there are four lanes where the flyovers meet, but that disappears entirely by the time the traffic gets to William Cannon.  That is the first major slowdown past Ben White. 
    It appears they have already done the rough cut in, put in the proper plumbing underneath and elevated and even put down asphalt in the middle to connect north and south lanes from Ben White all the way to William Cannon.  I don't think that is nearly enough, I hope the plan is to extend the four lanes past Slaughter Lane.  Another idea would be if they move the exit from I-35 closer to William Cannon to have the option to get off when traffic is not moving on the highway.  I can only assume they have begun working on something past Slaughter and further south, as traffic was stopped going south.  I kind of ignored Wife's warning because from the flyover it looked pretty open to making it all the way home quickly, but as soon as we climbed that hill past William Cannon, traffic just came to a stop.
    Meanwhile, if you drive on the toll road east of Austin, you can get from Seguin to north of Georgetown on toll road 130.  Those people must have been paid in real money or with bonuses because that highway went up fast.  They need to get rid of the toll road shenanigans and let truckers ride for free on these roads to move them away from Austin's traffic, it is already too congested.  But all we gotta do is wait.  In four years we will have another lane going both ways on I-35, just in time as when we will be needing a fifth lane.  I can imagine before I die, we will have lanes above and below like we do where UT is at.  There isn't that much more land to grow, in the future, we will just have to get more creative with our solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment