Wednesday, June 21, 2017

6/21/17 Do I Want Boy Following My Footsteps?

    I have been telling the boys ever since they were young enough to hear me, that they should do what makes them happy.  I would never tell Boy to follow me and do what I am doing as a job or career.  As  it turns out, he just interviewed yesterday and already has a follow up interview for tomorrow so he may be here quicker than I thought. 
    I love those boys and I am honored if they want to be like their dad and follow me, but it has to come from them.  One thing I am adamant on is that he will not work night shift.  I believe I have sacrificed enough of my life so that neither of them should have to do that for the opportunity of a job.  I'm not sure it has been the healthiest thing for me to do, remaining on a reverse schedule as the majority of the world for over twenty years, and for a shitty 5% now, but Boy can wait for a better chance if this is required.
    Boy says they are kind of pushing the intern applicants to volunteer for the various night shifts.  I told him if it is only for the summer it is up to you, but I don't want you accepting anything long term on nights.  You will get used to the extra money, and luckily there is no wife or kids, you could end up relying on it.  When you start working here, they tell you naïve shit like "the compressed pay or the night shift differential should not be thought of as your regular pay", but if you get it for more than say 3-4 years, it becomes part of what you see all the time. 
    On the one hand, it would be cool to work on a project or have him submit work I could help on to help solve a problem, or even train him some day and work side by side with him.  This industry is still one of the better paying compared to anything else out there.  If he jumps and doesn't get too comfortable, he could benefit from stocks and other bonuses I never really profited from.  Being on shift, we could align our schedules a little better and be off at the same time, to do activities outside the house, such as vacations.
    On the other hand, as I was discussing with my coworker, this is a field that has probably peaked and there aren't many new innovations coming from the manufacturing section.  We do have more layoffs, as an industry, so he might be stuck at home if he isn't working out with whatever group he ends up with. 
    Ultimately, it is up to him, Boy technically gets paid more at Alamo Drafthouse currently than what they are offering him as an intern, so he isn't desperate for a job, plus he lives at home and we are not rushing him off.  An internship would probably turn into a job offer later, when he graduates, so the short term sacrifice might not be a bad thing.  We support whatever he does, just no nightshift, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment