Wednesday, May 17, 2017

5/17/17 Vending Machine Love Affair?

    I remember when I was young, my mom worked in the high school as a typing teacher, before becoming a counselor and after school, I would make my way over to her room and wait for her to get out and come home.  If things went right, there would be just enough loose change to go hit the vending machines.  I still remember having to decide between the Boston Baked Beans, a reddish sweet candy with a peanut center and the French Burnt Peanut, which was about the same but the outside was jagged and would hurt you.  Maybe these were .35 cents at the time, around the 80's. 
    I have noticed over the years, the better I do financially, the less I depend on a vending machine.  Of course,  I love a dispenser of candy, but who carries much cash nowadays.  I rarely have any bills or change, I want to be able to look at a bum and tell him sorry, I don't carry money anymore, and mean it. But that also means if I feel like a soda on a random night, I am SOL (shit outta luck). 
    Vending machines have also come a long way.  A few years ago, I was in a hospital, and there was a vending machine that had sandwiches, slices of cake, just about all the stuff they could do on the grill, if you didn't mind it microwaved.  Maybe this was so they could offer food after hours, for those poor people stuck in hospitals with loved ones.
    The newest innovation I just noticed recently, is that the machines have been outfitted to take credit cards.  I do not want to do this, as I feel it could set a very bad precedent.  I want to treat myself sometimes, maybe on Thursday nights, when it's a payday Friday morning, not every day.  I also find it weird that they have had enough self control to keep the price of soda cans at 90 cents.  They know we are all popping dollars in there, just round it up to a dollar already.  What am I going to do with a freaking dime?  Theoretically, I take all these dimes and keep them in my drawer and then sometimes I have enough for a soda that way.
    I am wearing ani-noise headphones because the chemistry lab is so loud, but that means I didn't hear my soda do the tearing and burp sound when I opened the top.  My mind has convinced me the soda is flat and it was leaking.  There are drips on top of the soda where the can meets the sidewall, and it is slightly dented.  I walked all the way over here and it wasn't leaking, and it was very cold.  Funny how the mind likes to play tricks on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment