Thursday, May 11, 2017

5/11/17 Who's Having Fun?

    I talked to my brother a couple days ago, honestly, I was trying to see if he was interested in buying a watch maybe I shouldn't have bought.  This all because of the shitty reduction in pay, but I am glad I have a job, as I was told to repeat ad nauseam.  Anyways, he says his job has been slow and I left it at that.  While we were talking, he mentioned they had been at a game or were headed to a game, this time baseball.  He says his kid hates it so much, but they do it to get the pictures of the kids in the cute outfits.
    I don't get this kind of thinking.  Maybe I am too pragmatic, and I am not going to waste anyone's time by forcing my kids to do stuff they don't want to.  I then asked my Mom a couple days later what was going on, I was trying to call her about our layoffs and because she rushed to a game, she misplaced her phone.  She found it later that night in the VW bug we sold back to her, she had taken it out for a drive and left the phone in it.  I feel my mom enjoys taking stabs at me sometimes, mentioning that they were at a baseball game, it is what you do when you live in a small town, "we don't live in a big town."  I don't really know how to respond to this, it's not like my kids are doing something like launching rockets into space in their free time.
    I am basically a single parent during the week, and I go in to work at 6:00pm until 6:30am.  Chubs is in school from 7:45am until around 4:00pm.  Other than a quick bite to eat, what fancy thing could we possibly be up to?  If Wife was here, I might try to go to the mall, maybe, during the week.  When Boy was in 7th and 8th grade, he played football in high school.  There was practice every day after school, which I would go see a lot before driving to work, and I didn't miss a game, but that was like ten or eleven games each of the two years.
    Now that Boy just finished his semester yesterday, I am going to be watching him lie half asleep on his sofa chair, covered like it's snowing outside, and Chubs pretty much sprawls out on his bed after we eat, playing on his phone, or watching youtube videos.  Whatever romantic thought my mom has of the big city and all the things we can do, is just thoughts.  Lately, we don't do anything interesting, but work.  With the cut in pay, I am not sure if I will even be able to afford to go to work.  I am thinking my truck will have to go.
    Back to the thought I had when I started writing this, why do we have to have the kids running around from one sport to another?  I have refused to do this, Boy played a little football in junior high, he battled and built robots in high school, and even launched rockets as extra curricular activities, but as kids, they haven't done much more than being kids and discovering themselves.  Being forced to do something they hate might lead them to hate it even more and rebel in a couple years when participation might mean a little more.  The thought of forcing my kids into sports they might not like so I get a cool picture of them in a jersey sounds selfish, those kids should be allowed to run around the house and play tag or whatever kids do nowadays on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment