Saturday, May 13, 2017

5/13/17 What Happened To Real Music Like The 70's?

    I was sitting here bored trying to pump myself to stay awake Thursday night when I slid into some serious 1970's music and realized it is so different.  Singing along with Meat Loaf filled me with tears and emotion.  His "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" took me right back to high school, and even the weird chant last third of the song made me feel like I lived through that.  I can remember so many weekend nights in either of my parent's vans playing the Kenny G over and over, half naked, breaking the convertible bed in the back of the grey van, constantly checking out the windows as they got foggier and foggier for fuckers and coppers.  That song seems so appropriate now "what's it gonna be Boy?"  Her wanting more commitment, me wanting more of everything, and dammit I got it, I got it all. 
    Then I heard a few songs from Paul Simon who as I was reading in the comments is underrated.  So many great songs, Kodachrome, Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard (in the video he captures a young Biz Markie who looks like a miniature version of himself from MIBII, along with so many other famous faces), You Can Call Me Al (with Chevy Chase goofing), Mrs. Robinson (With Garfunkel, from the 60's.
    Music today seems to only be sung by the beautiful and exotic.  I maintain that like the real smart people who may not be good looking, the real talented people are not the beautiful people they put up to sing the music.  Who is today's Meat Loaf, the big 250-300 pounder belting out unapologetic music that feels like he just lived through the last song he wrote?  Paul Simon is not a bad looking fellow but by the 70's, he was in his 30's, I can't imagine many musicians being allowed on the radio at that age for the kids.
    What happened to the Motown stuff, that was just as emotion fueled as anything, listen to The Manhattans Kiss and Say Goodbye and don't tear up.  You have no soul if you do.  How about some Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" with too many I know, I know...  Listen to today's radio and you'll hear Rihanna 2-3 times in one hour or Nikki Minaj.  Music is being funneled to a very few people, proven talent, but I liked having one hit wonders, bands that gave us one good album and that was it.  This generation will be remembered for a handful of artists and their autotune machines.  That is the only reason to cry for today's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment