Tuesday, May 9, 2017

5/10/17 Sexism In Hollywood?

    I just read a story of some actress,  aged 43, told she is too old to play the wife of an actor, aged 57.  They would also have an 18 year old in the show, and at 43, sounds about right to me.  I am not sure if this is one of those situations in which the man is aging a lot better and manages to look like a Johnny Depp, 54, or if the woman is just crying sour grapes but oh well.
    Switching over to real life, they say men age like fine wine and women age like a loaf of bread.  It seems a little mean, but funny, I am a guy after all, but I can't say it is true.  My dad was considered a handsome man by all who knew him in his youth and early 20's.  Now that life has churned him up and he has been vomited out of those tractor trailers he drove for too many years, he is starting to  look like a shrunken old crypt keeper.  He doesn't do much to exercise and thus has a bad shoulder he can barely move, meanwhile, my mom is still very active, colors her hair, looks at least 10-15 years younger than him, even if they are about the same age.  This is the same situation with my in-laws, where my mother in law doesn't seem to age, but my father in law carries his age on his shoulders.  He is more active than my father, but still looks a lot more worn down than his wife.
    Wife and I are about the same right now, honestly, both of us are too heavy for our own good.  we both concern ourselves more with work and trying to get ahead than with our health.  We should be making time to get ourselves in better shape. 
    My mom and family worry because we have a young girl living in our house and possibly because they watch too much TV think I could do something to ruin my marriage.  First of all, I am a 400 pound cow, why would a young hottie even be interested?  I have also known her since she was about 4 years old and she has been around us her whole life.  I know in the make believe world of television people just need to be under the same roof for five minutes before they are jumping in bed, but I have never had that luck.  If anything, I always end up feeling protective of her, specially with her living in our house.  The fact is, I love Wife, she has always cared for me like no other.  She has put herself in a hard position this year working so far away from us to gain the experience she needed, so that she can come back and earn the kind of money she is worth.  We are both feeling the sacrifice, knowing it is for a small amount of time, in the big picture.
    The idea of upgrading wives to a younger model seems great in TV shows for men, at least, but the reality does not match.  I had a teacher who did this, left his wife for a student half his age.  For a couple years, hell yeah, he is the man, but now in his 60's, her in her 40's, she wants more out of life, he wants to be an old man and slow down, it doesn't work.  There are fewer and fewer shows I even enjoy watching on TV, that whole idea that the husband is stupid and needs the wife to solve his problems in too many comedies gets old.  The idea that the kids are smarter than the parents does nothing but piss me off.  Basically, TV is doing a fine job of killing itself off, I do fine with YouTube.  Left alone in front of a TV, 99% of the time, I go to HGTV nowadays.  A vacation house, now that is something that gets my engine running, something on the beach or a lake property.  That is what I fantasize about on a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment