Wednesday, August 17, 2016

8/17/16 Little Houses On HGTV?

    I love the idea of buying a little house, perhaps even for our land by Canyon Lake, but I hate the idea of being stuck in that small a space, even with just Wife for longer than a weekend at a time.  I love how they add a loft to keep square footage down, but I would hate having to climb a clunky ladder to get to bed.  A lot of these also seem to have "non flushing" toilets, which makes me think of taking a human dump on cat litter, it is still going to smell, specially if house is tiny.
    Who decided we were done with the American way of "larger is better"?  Fucking advertisers, all of a sudden, they get an idea crawling up their ass, and we must eat it like it tastes like sunshine and rainbows.  I don't know anyone like the people on TV on those shows.  "We want to downsize so we can experience life more.  Great!  These people all seem to have a friend with acreage who doesn't mind their freeloader friend setting up camp for free, I don't buy it.  The only time people downsize is when they ain't getting it done.  Dope husband can't hold a job because he drinks too much, or somebody got laid off.  I fully realize it could happen to us, but I don't think I would totally flip and say "OK, now I will live in 150sq ft., 4000 was too much.  Come on, you go back to a reasonable 1100 sq. ft. or so.  Perhaps you move into a mobile home, those things new are still in the $40,000.  That has to be better than what these tiny houses offer.
    We actually did look at some of the larger tiny houses, the 1 bedroom cabins on wheels in the 400 sq. ft. size.  They were between $38,000 and $48,000, depending on the options.  I've been thinking for our land, the boys would have the loft upstairs, there is a bedroom with a queen size bed, a full kitchen and a small-ish living area.  I think it would make a cute weekend retreat, but I couldn't sell everything and move in full time.  We haven't done it because these mobile homes are not that mobile.  They have wheels, but I can't just tow it with my truck, although the wheels save you from increasing taxes on the land, since it is not considered a permanent improvement on the land.  We would also have to invest in a septic system, invest in bringing in the electricity from the back of the property, and hook up the city water.  This is just another thought that circles around in my head of things to do.  I hesitate to improve this land because I want waterfront, and at best this is waterfront adjacent, if I at least had a look of the lake, I might settle, but I need to improve the location of my vacation cabin before I go building.

No comments:

Post a Comment