Tuesday, August 16, 2016

8/16/16 Showing Self Control, Who Knew I Could?

    With all this of Wife leaving to greater pastures, I am left with nary a thing to do.  I don't have loads of free time, but I do like to feel like I accomplish small tasks which in the big picture add up to bigger things.  So one thing we both agree on is that our carpet has seen better days.  I would like to solve the problem by installing wood flooring.  Yes, this is going to be a little expensive but not impossible.  Wife, of course wants the cheapest variation, which means laying down plywood spray painted to look like wood, or that is what laminate flooring sounds to me.  I want real hardwoods from trees taken out of the amazon rain forest, with names I can barely pronounce, not plastic imitators you order on Amazon.
    I went scouting without Wife last week on Friday and found a beautiful wood at Lumber Liquidators, Acacia wood amongst the Bellawood products, the big name there for solid hardwoods.  These are generally the priciest per square foot, going up to $10 or more.  The Acacia was $5.59 and Bellawood was having a 15% sale, so it is down to $4.75.  Pricey, but you get what you pay for.  This manufacturer has a 100 year warranty, fully transferrable.  Wife was more concerned about the cost.  I am willing to do one small room at a time, so the cost doesn't overwhelm us.  She said we needed to compare prices, so off to Lowe's we went.  They have a laminate look alike of the acacia wood at $2.99, but I worry on the floor it'll look a little plastic-y.  They also had an engineered wood that says it is acacia, but it is already at $3.99.  I say just buy the pricier one, it'll have the longer warranty, and I will have peace of mind.
    Just as I am building my empire piece by piece like Jenga, in come my jerks sliding on their knees knocking me and my wants to the dark corners of the room.  Boy needs help with his tuition and books.  Grandma said she would help him out with $1000, so yeaih Mom!!, we only need to buy a couple hundred worth of books.  Chubs is starting band and he wants to be like Daddy.  He wants to learn the saxophone.  We went and priced some saxophones and DAMMMMM!!!  Strait Music has a beginner sax at $2195, we can make payments of $65 a month.  The other place had a few more varieties, but they were going for $2400.  Shit, I went in there thinking I wanted two, a beginner and something a little nicer, for me.  The price made me come back to earth and quick.  So, I guess we are taking the flooring projects and waiting.  I hate not having something to obsess over.
    Oh well, last night I managed to clean Chub's room since he was gone.  He had meet the teachers this week, and he needs all the introducing he can muster.  Poor guy has to start in an entirely new city where he basically knows nobody.  Good thing he is like his mother and he likes talking to anybody.  He will make new friends in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment