Friday, August 12, 2016

8/12/16 Do Little Boys Wear Down?

    Wife has been back home where we grew up for a couple weeks now and we are getting the hang of things.  Chubs is holding on to his room for dear life.  I feel a little bad for him, I love my little fat boy and I wish he could stay here, but my brother is already fiddling with his eject button, life is getting hard for him having to pay rent, save him Mama!!  Chubs will go quietly into that good night because he is a good boy and does as he is told.  But goddam, when you come out on the other side of that three hour drive, they are building jocks by the truckload and as young as they can get them out of diapers.  I guess when there isn't anything going on in town, you create your own entertainment.  The law already frowns on fighting roosters which Mexicans love and fighting dogs which other cultures love, but the law ain't ever told no man his kid can't dream and do what the monsters and gods do on TV. 
    Let them set up a system where they start ever younger, and strengthen these little tools, I mean children, and turn them into athletes.  Let the machine run 365 days out of the year, shit if Bo Jackson could be a star in two sports why can't Juan Martinez?  I was just talking to Wife Sunday night, my folks were babysitting my sister's younger boy, they went out somewhere out of town to go let the older boy play a little league game somewhere that required them getting back pretty late.  Monday they were already talking about signing up for pee wee football and that starting up, as soon as that ends, basketball starts, I believe there is a thin season of soccer, then baseball in the summer.  If we could get a frozen pond from up north shipped down south, my nephew would be a skater as well, sneaking in hockey too.
    I like that my brother in law is involved in his son's life, but I worry the poor kid will be worn down to a nub before any of it matters.  The kid is in 2nd or 3rd grade, it is a while before he gets to junior high and start playing in what matters, for city pride.  Maybe I am wrong, shoot, maybe we start seeing more Hispanic names in the NFL because of all these efforts.  That would be something.  Maybe the scouts for MLB stop scouting outside the US when we can show that we can home grow our own athletes. 
    I just hope Chubs can stay as interested in reading and learning while he is down there, my hopes for my boys is they both grow up with superb thinking and reasoning skills, never saw where running helped anyone do a better job unless you were an errand boy.  Entertaining the masses will come if he decides he wants to play, but it will not be year round, he needs to have time to reflect and do other things.  And he mentioned he wants to play saxophone which means 1, we'll be shopping for saxophones this weekend and 2, sports may not even be a thing in our house, and that is all right with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment