Saturday, March 5, 2022

3/5/22 First Track Meet Of Season?

     Another sporting season is underway.  We were wondering about last year and why Baby A didn't participate in shotput or discus, but last season was shortened, and wrestling coincided with the season.  Either way, this is a new year and both sports are separated enough that about the same boys that did wrestling are now hanging out doing the shotput.  It is so much fun to watch these boys in action.  I don't think any of them will be breaking school records throwing, but they are having a good time doing it.

    Yesterday, I went and watched the last 10-15 minutes of practice, and it was nice having the boys come up to the fence to say hi and give me a little fist bump.  I then got to see them go into various wrestling holds and tumble on the grass.  I swear these boys can't keep their hands to themselves.  The testosterone just flows out of them, since Mijo is the heavyweight, it's usually two other boys climbing on him to bring him down, it is funny, to me.  The coach has a good spirit and I think she likes their energy as she was laughing along with their antics.

    I think maybe 5 of the 6 shot-putters (varsity and JV) were on wrestling, then this morning another handful of the smaller wrestlers showed their faces and they said they were running in different events.  Even some of the girls we met were there, also participating on various running events.  I guess the athletes are athletes year-round.  Mijo says he doesn't care about track as much and is honestly doing it for conditioning, knowing it will include additional running and stretching activities.

    I can't say I was impressed with Mijo's first throws, but this week was the first time he had thrown in almost two years, since he didn't do it last year.  I was asking him if he recognized any of the other throwers, I would imagine the heavyweights from wrestling would be the husky shot-putter types, but as the one non wrestler kid said, "this is a different animal."  He really wasn't kidding, one of the kids with a huge throw was about as big as me, I swear, he had to be 350-400lbs, and strong looking.  Apparently, he had a brother, both kids had the same last name, and they were calling them brothers (but I'm not 100% sure), and the other kid legit looked like an NFL linebacker, all muscle and just scary looking.  He threw like 47 feet, while our boys were near 30 feet.

    Mijo was not even bothered, he finished the shotput and said he was done, he was going to hang out and watch some of his friends do their events.  I like the non-stressed Mijo, he took wrestling very seriously, really wanting to do better every time or at least learn from the kids that beat him.  We picked him up five hours later, after we had gone home and napped for a good while.  He said the day was good, we had lunch at Busch's Chicken and came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment