Friday, March 25, 2022

3/24/22 Good Sign Your Kid Is Grown?

    I guess we have to admit Boy is now a grown man, last night was his birthday (writing this a day late) and it was the first time we were not a part of his day.  There have been times, of course, where we had to work or the birthday falls in the middle of the week and we make plans for the weekend, but last night was different.  Wife tried getting me excited about doing something for his birthday, and I just said, "he's doing his own thing, he's not even going to be here this weekend", he is off to Dallas to go hang out with friends.
    We managed to send him some texts in the morning, he eventually responded a couple hours later, it seems these past weeks have just gotten super busy for all of us.  Between dropping off Baby A and a friend of his at Burger Stadium for another all-day track meet, coming home, paying bills, then swinging back to go watch him perform, then going to eat with him and then heading to work, just doesn't leave any free time during the day.  Wife was just as busy, leaving the house at 6:00am, and not getting back until close to 6:30pm, we can't just stop our days and plan stuff.
    It does turn out Boy took the day off, which he really didn't say, and in another universe he might have taken the time and energy to run down and check on his brother at the track meet, but that has never been his style.  I mean he did say "I hate sports", so that excuses him from being a decent family member and attending any of his brother's activities.  But it was his birthday, and one should do what one wants.  He took the day off, I'm sure he slept in, then hung out with his girlfriend and some of their friends.
    We finally talked to him late in the day, I tried calling him as soon as I got off work and was driving home, but he did not respond.  Wife said she too had tried calling him, but also did not get a pick up.  He called us after I had gotten home, he said he had gone out to eat with friends and then went to the movies, which sounds like a nice day.  I don't think I have been to a movie theatre since before Covid at this point, but he has started going more often.  He specially likes the movie theatre at the Domain, which he likes to tell us he lives close to.
    At this point, I am just glad he has found people that make him happy and he has grown enough as a human to make his way out in the world.  We all want our babies to stay close to us, and I did enjoy all the hectic good times, but I think it is also good he can have a good to great time without us, it makes for a stronger person, I think.  Either way, Happy Birthday, Mijo, love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment