Tuesday, March 22, 2022

3/22/22 Freak Storm?

     I know we were warned it was coming, but when it didn't arrive when it was expected, I thought it had missed us.  Of course, life is going to work where we just have to be out there when the worst part of the storm is bearing down on us.  Honestly, if this storm has shown up yesterday, we would all have been home, or we would at least have had the option to have stayed home.  Instead, there I was, leaving the comfort and safety of my work building because I had to go pick up my boy from school.  Normally, he stays until 6:00pm or so nowadays, because of track practice, but after school events were actually canceled in anticipation of the storm.

    I went and picked up Mijo maybe a few minutes after 5:00pm.  There was absolutely nothing interesting going on in the sky, other than some light grey clouds.  They certainly didn't look ominous or like we should take cover.  Baby A wanted food, so we went through the Bill Miller drive thru and I got a little wet with a light drizzle that had started by then.  we have a ton of work, so I decided I would head back to work without getting off at the house.  Mijo had his snack, and Mama was on the way home, she was somewhere stuck in traffic between Austin and San Antonio, but when I talked to her, she said the weather was 90 degrees and just hot.  This again made me think like the worst of whatever storm missed us.

    As I headed back to work and was stuck on Slaughter, there is always too much traffic heading to I-35, the weather finally turned.  It got windy, and the rain kicked up even before I made it to the frontage road.  I could feel the Telluride being pushed around by the wind.  When I was driving on the frontage, it is now really long, almost from Slaughter to William Cannon, before we can get on, the hail started and it hit so aggressively, the car said something about it detecting a crash.  I got a little worried it would shut off or something, but it just kept flashing weird lights and messages, which I couldn't really pay attention too as I could barely see.  There was a lot of hail, I'll wait until tomorrow to figure out if the car was damaged, it certainly got hit with a lot of small hail, nothing bigger than a dime, that I could tell.  I drove about 35 the whole way and was shocked to see morons with their cars just stopped on the driving lanes under some overpasses.  I am sure they caused an accident because cars were just acting like it was a parking lot, but not everybody was interested in stopping.  I continued, figuring if the hail is going to damage the car, it already did it, no point in stopping now.  As I got to work and pulled into our parking lot, it kind of stopped.  It was weird, but I was able to get off the car and walk in with just the lightest of drizzles.

    My mom called a good twenty minutes later to make sure we were okay.  There was news of a tornado touching down in Round Rock and Elgin, with some houses damaged, so I guess they got the worst of it.  I am writing this at roughly 11:35pm, and I can still hear rain coming in waves, being home, it sounds cool.  If I was driving, it would be annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment