Tuesday, March 1, 2022

3/1/22 Shit People Still Suck?

     Last week, I thought I would be smart on Thursday as I was driving home, we were getting a cold front and I figured I should fill the gas tank up, so I wouldn't have to be doing it in rainy weather and it was supposed to be cold for a couple days.  It was actually chilly, but the precipitation never came, so we stayed mostly dry.  Friday morning, by 7:30am, I got a call from my bank, supposedly, that I had some suspicious entries, and I should stay on the line.  I hung up but went to the computer and checked out what was going on.  Sure enough, there was a charge for $400 and one for $212.  I did not know what they were for, but I know I didn't do them.  I called Wife to call the bank, she loves being on the phone, I hate talking to people, but on the way to dropping off Mijo at school, I got another call.  Since I knew it was real this time, I took the call, talked to a person and told them I did not make those transactions.  They were able to put a stop within a few seconds, cancelled my card and got everything fixed up.  I hate that criminals, Shit People, can do this sort of thing, but at least we have counter measures that keep us from being liable for these attacks.  While I was talking to the lady from my bank, Wife got one also and she was getting more information, such as they had gotten the attempted transactions from the Shell gas station by the house, I am guessing they had one of those skimmer devices on the gas pump I used, but I use this gas station regularly, it is the one closest to the house.

    The guy talking to Wife was saying that they had attempted three withdrawals of $400 and three of $212, I don't know why they are so stupid and stick to specific numbers like that, but then again, that is part of the reason they are criminals.  I fucking hate people that do this type of activity for sure, but I also kind of understand.  Things are getting so ridiculously expensive here in Austin, how are regular people going to survive going forward?  Wife and I are good but that is because we both have good paying jobs.  I know that isn't the case for a lot of people, some are just barely getting by.  Housing prices are crazy, I doubt I could afford a house in today's market here in Austin.  I keep looking at car prices, but I am not paying $70,000 for a new truck, but even the smaller Ford Ranger easily gets into the $50,000 range.  Everything is kind of unbalanced, I don't know if it is because we are coming out of the pandemic, but either prices need to come down or we need to start getting paid more money, and that needs to happen quickly.  Like I said, we won't starve any time soon, but I know this can't be good for the average family trying to get by on the median Austin income.

No comments:

Post a Comment