Friday, March 11, 2022

3/10/22 Second Track Meet Of Season?

     This was an interesting track meet, as far as I could tell.  It was held on a Thursday, which I am always curious how it is okay to miss school to come out here and do a little sports activity, but I digress.  I love this core group of boys; they are mostly the linemen from the football team and the bigger wrestlers, although out there against so many other schools, our boys tend to look small.  It almost pisses me off that it is the norm for our boys to barely scratch 6ft tall while these other schools have some monsters walking around at least 6ft 6in and taller.  I was standing next to some Bowie boys and my head was probably at their shoulders.  Regardless of this, as Baby A told me, he is only doing this to stay active and hang out with his friends, so he is trying his hardest not to take it too seriously.

    The meet was supposed to start at 10:00am, so I dropped off Mijo off at 9:00am and he is a typical "my family's last name", he is so moody when we aren't rushing at his command.  We left the house at 8:30am, he tells me we have to pick up one of his friends which I don't mind, but don't act like I'm the one making you late, it's your buddy we're picking up.  He acts like the sport can't start without him being there.  I decided to leave, there was nothing happening at 9:00am, so I went to gas up car, get some money from ATM, then go home and pay some bills, it was payday, then head back.  The boys had just started throwing, they do all the field events early in the day, so that the ones also involved with running also have a chance to rest and be ready for those activities later on.  I was told the relays didn't start until 4:30pm.

    I walked up to the shotput field just in time, I might have missed the first few throwers, but I got Mijo's throws on camera, not that he cares.  I also saw our other boys do their thing.  They are improving, Mijo improved 4 feet from the week before, throwing for 32ft and change.  It sounds good until you hear the winners threw like 45 ft this week, last week some kid threw 49ft.  I would be more invested if Mijo was concerned about getting better, but he seems content to just be amongst the team.

    I was there from 10:00am until 1:00pm, got a nice suntan according to Wife, I looked red in the evening, indicating I spent some time in the sun.  It was a good time, after the varsity boys threw, we walked over to see the girls throwing discus, on the opposite side of Burger stadium, the coach does both shotput and discus and both boys and girls.  It is really cool to be accepted amongst the team and the coaches now know us pretty well, since we are always around.  Mijo was getting compliments that he has the best parents; we are always there to see him and support him.  He just shrugged, it probably gets uncomfortable for him, especially when some of the other boys add "yeah, I don't even have a dad."  Other than those little moments, which somehow are still said in joking fashion, it was a good day.  Right next to the discus ring, we could see the high jump, the pole vault, the triple jump, and the long jump.  Some of these kids take their events seriously, either Dad or coach filming the action, then the kid is reviewing their technique.  I love that some of these kids care enough to do what they do, competition is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment