Tuesday, March 29, 2022

3/29/2022 Need To Get Rid Of Our Ford Escape?

     I hate to say it, but we need to get rid of our little 2013 Ford Escape which we bought about a year ago.  It has been a great little car; I have enjoyed driving it and the ease of parking and getting around town has been eye opening, but sometimes problems arise, and it is best to walk away.  A couple weeks ago while leaving Burger Stadium, the steering wheel got stiff on me and kind of locked up.  It was a weird feeling, and I don't know if I turned it off or it shut off, but I sat there a few seconds worried it was a huge problem, but then turned it on and it was like a fluke.  The car seemed to be okay, and we drove off with no subsequent problems.  Well, Wife has been driving it the last two weeks and she described the same thing happened to her yesterday.  She said she too was backing up and turning the wheel and it locked up and gave her the same steering fault error or something like that.  She also turned off the car and then turned it on again and the problem kind of disappeared.  My thought originally was that I had put too much weight on the steering wheel, being a fat ass, maybe I had leaned on it too much getting on the car, which is the reason I hadn't worried too much.  Wife is not aggressive like I am with the car, she just drives and acts like a human, I am more of the oversized gorilla trying to get in the driver's seat.

    If there were a fix for this, fine I would pay and be content the issue was solved, but I looked online and did not really find what I was looking for.  The issue exists and many other people are experiencing it, but Ford seems to be hesitant to take ownership of the problem.  I saw where the steering column has been replaced on a few customers, only to have the problem come back.  I wouldn't mind paying the $2000, but I can't have a car where the issue might still come back.  I can't, in good conscience give it to Baby A, who was going to take the car as his, whenever he starts driving.  

    This is where the dilemma exists.  Do I replace it with another small car/SUV, which Wife can keep alternating as a daily driver to keep the miles low on the Telluride, do I go ahead and buy a truck, something I have been wanting now for a few years, or do we get something Mijo can call his?  That boy is kind of conservative and keeps simply saying he wants an Edge, like his brother's.  It's a decent vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't call it a cool kid's car.  Still, that may be the best thing, except it seems highly suspicious to go and say I want to trade in a fully paid off small SUV for another small SUV.  I don't know, maybe we should just bite the bullet and buy an electric car, something we were talking about last weekend.  All I know is that I feel we have to do something pretty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment