Friday, March 11, 2022

3/11/22 Replacing Our Icemaker?

     I knew it was coming and I think this morning Wife had enough of the BS.  She called me on the phone to come downstairs, she had the broomstick and was basically fighting the ice in the freezer like a knight on horseback.  The icemaker developed a leak or two, it is now over 15 years old, and I could see it.  We've been having these blocks of ice form in two different spots where the ice is supposed to form into the nice little cubes we are used to.  As long as we remove them about twice a day, there wasn't much of a problem, but sometimes we just aren't here.  Over the past month, the ice buildup has been getting worse, and I think it came to a head this morning.  When I came down, Wife had a bunch of ice knocked off and out of the freezer.  We have a fridge with the freezer on the bottom, so it is hard to access the very bottom and I think the block in the back shifted a bit so she couldn't get the door to close all the way.  She was standing there stabbing at the ice with the stick side of the broom, trying to knock the ice out so it would close, and at the same time telling me she really had to get going to work, so, handle it.

    I cleaned up the mess, then decided I would go ahead and try and replace it.  After dropping off Mijo at school I went to Lowe's to see if they sold them there.  The lady was nice but said they did not have my model.  She sent me to Home Depot, according to their online site, they had one in any of the closest stores, so I went to the one closest to my house.  This old man was not nice, he said they don't keep them in stock because they rarely go out.  Then he gave me a card to an appliance store, to which I asked "they'll have them there?"  He not very nicely retorted "I don't know how the man runs his store, maybe he does, maybe he'll get your information and order it."  I just said thanks and left, fucking old man.

    It took a minute to fin the store, but I got one, brought it home and just said F it and took off the old one and inserted the new one.  It required a lot of prep, such as removing all the food from the freezer and even the door, but I had figured out how to do that a while back, so it wasn't hard.  The hardest part was working in the awkward position since the icemaker is down at knee level but up against the ceiling of the freezer.  I was working on my knees and having to bend up, not a great position for a fat ass.  Still, it was pretty straight forward once I knew the unit was identical and all I did was replace one for the other.

    A Youtube video I saw said it could take 24 hours to get ice, but as I was sitting here at the kitchen drinking my coffee, I already heard a batch of ice cubes falling, so it is working.  I'll throw the first and second batches away, then I figure it'll be good to use for drinks and stuff.  By the way, I wasn't sure which model it was or it would have been around $65-80.  At this appliance store, the same unit cost me $130.  It was a bit more, but I guess the peace of mind of buying the right thing is worth something?

No comments:

Post a Comment