Sunday, March 20, 2022

3/20/22 Being A Homeowner Is Honestly A Pain In The Ass?

     I don't think it is said enough, but owning your own home kind of sucks, on the downlow.  Nobody really talks about stuff like when the A/C goes out, we can't just call a landlord, we have to handle it ourselves, and who made us experts in any of this.  Over Spring Break, I fixed a lot more things than I realized needed my attention.  I guess none of the mini projects was an emergency, but they needed to be addressed.

    The caulk around the kitchen sink had been looking old and was cracked and missing in about a three-foot span or so.  I finally guessed on the grey color, and I got one that a bit darker than the original, but just looking smooth and new makes it look better overall.  It took me maybe an hour of scrubbing and removing the old one before I slid in a nice new line of the new caulk.

    Boy left the bathroom about as dirty as a tenant who owed money but decided to leave in the middle of the night.  The toilet had a ring around the bowl, the shower was all moldy and nasty, and even the sink was grimy, and it all needed to be scrubbed hard.  Luckily, I bought these brushes that attach to a drill and the y made the work a lot quicker to deal with.  Before getting down to scrubbing everything, I noticed the toilet top was removed, so I wondered what was going on, this is a bathroom I never even look in, it had been Boy's and his girlfriend's, so I didn't need to be looking in here.  Turns out the water was not running post flush, so I replaced the inside parts that takes in the water, I think it's called the float valve mechanism.  We basically gained a third bathroom by me going in there and doing what I did, so Baby A can stop using the one downstairs and instead he needs to get used to using that one, it is his now.

    I also got to replace the ice maker last week.  There is a branch I didn't get to that is scratching at the front of the house.  I only notice it when I am walking to the car and hear the light screech it makes.  I did also patch some small scrapes in Boy's room and a hole that I made while moving furniture a while back.  There is a never-ending list of things to do if we want to keep the house going at 100%.  I know at some time, I need to address the hot tub, the last time I tried to run it, the flow of water was barely there, even though the pump was fairly new.  I could live with the low flow, but the heater needs the water to be moving faster in order to stay on and heat the water.

    At some point, we will need to bite the bullet and replace the carpets, the ones we have just make the house look older.  I still want the look of wood, even after Boy tells me his apartment has wood floors and his feet hurt because the floor is now hard unlike carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment