Friday, November 27, 2020

11/27/20 What Am I Thankful For?

    In this solemn time of remembering to say thanks and slowing down if but for a day, I thought it would be nice to list it out.  I do a lot of bitching and moaning, but that is mostly because I live a very privileged life and sometimes forget and take things for granted.

    First off, I am thankful to live in this great country that has provided so much opportunity and choice.  Others may object, but I do believe this is a great country because together the people have made it great.  Next off, I have to say thank you to my family, I couldn't have had a better upbringing, I saw both sides of my family do what they had to do, whether on my dad's side where my uncles worked hard at roofing and manual labor, I never saw any of them cry or avoid a day of work.  My aunt's on mom's side sacrificing and moving out to get degrees to further themselves, it was all a base set up to where we saw nothing but do the same and thru our own cheer effort, we all have blossomed into healthy contributing adults.  I don't think my dad ever missed a day of work except the once or twice when he got sick and needed to go to the hospital, that man was a great working machine, I have that work ethic.  My mom could not have been a greater cheerleader and inspiration, always insisting that we could do whatever we set ourselves up to do.  When I had to drop physics at UT and for the first time felt like I might not be good enough, she said "just keep going and try again, don't worry, we all have setbacks.  My siblings have done the same, we all compete with each other and we are all successful in our own ways which is directly attributable to our solid foundation which just seemed to make life easier.

    Fast forward to my own life where I chose to reside and life couldn't be the same without Wife, she is a beast who takes care of business 24x7.  She might work three hours away but it hardly ever feels that way because if she is needed, give her a car and some gas and she will show up as fast as the speed limit will allow.  My boys may argue with me but they know the whining stops when mama gets involved.  I have learned to just say "hey Woman, attack!"  and those boys turn to jelly.

    Finally, my two boys.  They are my greatest contribution to the world and I think I am creating masterpieces.  Boy has taken awhile to finish college, but I won't focus on that.  He is still attending, but even then, he has landed himself in a career job very near my field to the point his company is my company's biggest customer, so the apple did not fall that far from the tree.  The younger one is just as fiery and feisty.  He carries a little chip on his shoulder and is out to show the world that he is greatness, much like his namesake, Alexander The Great, he seems to be capable of conquering the world.  Sometimes, both boys even seem to be a little arrogant, self-centered, and egotistical, but then again, Wife reminds me that they have a lot of me in them.

    Happy Thanksgiving because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment