Friday, November 13, 2020

11/13/20 Part Time Mechanic?

     I love the knowledge one can find in Youtube.  Boy's A/C suddenly stopped working Monday afternoon as he was driving home which got him complaining quick.  I was at work already, so what can I do?  I told him to chill, good thing we have the extra vehicle.  We can drop it off Friday at the dealership and he can drive Wife's Ecosport and she can take the Telluride, which she doesn't like using because she doesn't want to put tons of miles on it.  Boy has fallen for the Ecosport though, it has a lot of nice little extras his doesn't like the reverse camera, and heated seats and steering.

    Anytime a car has trouble I get a little worried because going to the dealership, and that is the only place I trust, those technicians do nothing but work on the engines we buy there, so they should be good at figuring out the best solutions, because there is an increased chance of walking out with a new car and a new payment.  This, specially since he was just car shopping with Sweetie and is really liking the Toyota 4-Runner.  Sweetie bought a Toyota so maybe they are trying to be name brand twinsies, I am not sure, but I do know that Ford has been good to me.  He had been saying he would be cool upgrading to a newer Ford Edge since he likes his, it is just kind of basic and it is now getting older, being a 2014 (and here I am driving a 2004).

    Anyway, I went out and looked at his problem the next day, and it seemed weird that the car was making absolutely no sounds from the A/C.  This wasn't a compressor issue or something like that, I thought maybe a fuse, but all the fuses looked good.  I then went to Youtube to see what they would say.  Sure enough, I found a few videos describing that the blower does go out routinely on these Edges but it is a fairly quick and easy fix.  I found several videos describing how to access the part and remove it.  One of the techs even did a little field test with a battery to see if the part would turn if 12v were applied.  Boy is an engineer and he has stuff that can give him 12volts, so we took the part of and went up to his room.  He connected the part to the wires and nothing.  Once we knew that part was bad, we ran to Advanced Auto Parts and got a new one.  It was a very easy fix, other than I am too big to be fitting between the seat and the door frame under where the passenger footwell is of his car.  Good thing Boy is not jumbo sized like me.  He was able to contort himself in there and remove the screws holding it in place.  We tested the part by connecting it before installing it and it immediately came to life when he turned the SUV on.

    It feels so good when you can solve a problem like that.  Plus, we had to have saved ourselves a good $400.  An old lady in one of the videos said she had taken her car into a shop to get the same problem fixed and she was charged $500.  I know Maxwell Ford would have charged us at least that much.  The part cost a reasonable $120, but Boy is now working, so he paid for that.  I basically just supervised him along the fix, he did all the work, it was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment