Tuesday, November 24, 2020

11/24/20 Making The Best Of A Covid-19 Birthday? (part 1 of 3)

     We celebrated Baby A's 16th birthday this past weekend Sunday and luckily, it turned out halfway decent, I thought.  The weekend got off to a rocky start, but we handled it as per usual.  I was excited (as I'm sure Wife was) because we started our Thanksgiving vacation.  We are both off for a week and my last work night was Thursday and Wife got off around 2:00pm, so she was here before 5:00pm on Friday afternoon.  Just as she arrived, Baby A found out his Saturday game was cancelled, but he still had a Friday afternoon practice.  We dropped him off (these practices are weird in that they last an hour, it makes it hard to come home and do anything else when it takes 20 minutes to get there, but anyways), and ran to Sam's to get meat to grill for dinner.  That didn't happen when we ended up going to a couple stores and then Wife brought up the sofa bed Mijo has in his room (it has a tear and she suggested replacing it).  This came up because he was going to have his friends over and this could be a place for them to sleep on.

    He was non-committal, as usual whether he wanted to go to Ikea or not.  It was 7:00pm and I was just excited to be free and have Wife here and willing to venture out of the house, so vamoose up north.  We jumped on Mopac and hauled butt eventually switching over to I-35, on Braker Lane.  My first job was out on Braker Lane, working at a warehouse, and it has changed so much with growth and buildings, I honestly did not recognize the road at all and I worked in that area for a year.  

    By the time we were past Round Rock, Baby A was becoming like his Grandma (Mom).  Ooh boy, when the child misses his eating time, he can get a little distressed.  Not poking fun at Mama, but she has gotten ugly a time or two in the same way.  He started telling us that we sucked, he didn't want a sofabed, I tried tempting him with Swedish meatballs, which they sell at Ikea, but he was not having any of my shenanigans.  He was cussing up a storm, I offered McDonald's to tame a savage beast and he just said "whatever, I am not eating in the car."  Turns out our sweet prince expects a sit down meal when his highness gets hungry.  We just told him to settle down and we would eat eventually.  After his tantrum and saying he didn't care to go to Ikea, when we were within distance of seeing the building, some 30 miles up north, I then said "well, we can at least go to Bass Pro Shops and see what boats they have."  Wife surprisingly went along with it.  This is not normally my wife's response, she kind of hates going to Cabela's, or Bass Pro Shops or even Academy, but she was being agreeable.

    We looked around, I think Wife has accepted my notion that I really want a vessel of some kind to get out on the water, be it a kayak, a canoe, jetski, or a boat.  We saw the boat I really liked, but of course, online it starts at $23,000, which sounds pretty decent, but the real thing is $37,000 once they add a little of this and that, plus even though the length of the boat is 18ft, with motor and trailed, it is past 23ft which is too long for my garage.  So we keep looking.

    We ended up going to eat dinner at Cheddar's.  We ran all the way back to south Austin and first tried Red Robin which our son suggested.  We didn't really want to as we were trying to be good and stay on our diet, but we also know with his birthday, we were already going to eat pizza and birthday cake, so the diet was going to be put on hold.  Red Robin was closed, as in the building looked empty inside, Covid has ruined businesses.  Cheddar's is another place we like to eat and prices are reasonable.  I didn't want a steak as we eat them all week at home and mine are great on the grill, but it was my best option, carbs wise.  We headed home after all this, and it was maybe 10:30pm by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment