Sunday, September 1, 2019

9/1/19 Longhorns Off To A Good Start?

    I have to admit I was heavily distracted while attempting to watch the Longhorns last night.  We just never get together in the living room to watch TV on the projector anymore.  That changes during football season, because that is what the big screen was bought for.  The problem is that the projector has just seen better days.  It needs a new bulb every 1500 hours or with us, about every year and a half.  Today, when Wife sort of poked at me that I wasn't going to be able to watch my game on the big screen because of the mess in the living room and then the fact that the projector is dead.  It will start, like an old cranky car, if you hit start enough times, the bulb eventually heats up and it will run.  After I had Javalina start it about five times it stayed on, but there was a whirring noise that did not want to go away.  I threw my hands in the air and told Wife, "Time for a new one."
    We headed to Best Buy at 3:30pm and actually did pretty good.  Instead of trying to go fancy, I went cheap and did not even go where the 4K projectors were.  I aimed for the regular projectors which were still all 1080p and that is supposed to be good enough for most.  We walked out of there with a decently priced projector of only $699, but in the old days, this would have been a $3000 purchase.
    We took this home and I promptly got to bringing down the other one and installing this one up on the ceiling.  The game started somewhere during this, but at least I thought enough to tell Javalina to clean the grill so Wife could start grilling.  The projector looked absolutely beautiful with an image so bright I thought I would have to turn it down, because we were used to the others dimmer images.  I had to do all sorts of adjustments, turn image top side down, bring whole image down about three inches and the hardest one was that the left side was higher than the right side by like two inches.
    The game got to halftime before I was done adjusting everything and by then the Longhorns had a commanding lead of poor Louisiana Tech, who could not score until the 4th quarter and probably against a lot of the 2nd string.  This is the first time under Coach Herman that the Horns win their opener and it could be signaling a sign of good things coming.  A lot depends on the game next week, which is a big one against LSU who always is ranked near the top.
    Texas overall was solid under the strong arm of Ehlinger.  There is some concern in the running game because most or all of the scholarship backs were out of commission at the start of the game, but Ingram managed 76 yards which seems like a good start.  The defense was decimated after last year and as a result saw 22 different people get a chance to play on that side of the ball, but the starting team was solid, holding them to 0 points for three quarters.
    I can only imagine the humidity and heat in that stadium with over 100,000 people in attendance had to be suffocating, I just hope fall shows up and cools shit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment