Tuesday, September 17, 2019

9/17/19 Algebra Keeps Coming Back?

    Well, it's a good thing I really learned my algebra because it keeps coming up.  I remember helping Boy for many years, all through elementary and junior high, all the way through high school, until he finally got into some higher math that I suggested he look for help from his classmates.  It is starting over again.  Javalina is in an advanced algebra 2 class as a freshman and yesterday he admitted he was completely lost.  I really wish he would have said something sooner and even his grades deceived him, as of Friday he was still passing everything.  Now that this is the final week, I guess the teacher finally graded some papers and he is on the verge of failing.
    We got on his homework and it looks tricky but it isn't.  He is working on composite functions, taking one equation and fitting into another one.  I don't know what the teacher is doing, but Javalina kept saying is that it?  That is so easy, the way the teacher is explaining makes no sense.  He says he was ready to drop the class and move down to something easier.
    It feels good to break out the knowledge, and I think he is a little surprised that I understand his stuff, which I keep telling him I am the freaking smartest man in the world!!!  :) or at least the smartest person you know.  He has a hard time accepting this.
    Our internet was down yesterday afternoon, so it was tricky in that I couldn't double check my work, I always like finding examples to make sure I am doing things correctly, which I usually am.  All this just leaves me wondering, who is helping out all the other kids.  Parents aren't usually so eager to roll up their sleeves and do and explain the work with their kids, so who then?  So few go and ask for help in school, which is probably why we get less and less kids going into the higher math courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment