Sunday, September 15, 2019

9/15/19 Baby Has Gone Dancing At Homecoming Dance?

    If the grey in my hair wasn't already telling me, how about our youngest is now old enough to not only be able to go, but he also wants to go to the dance at his high school tonight?  Even though Javalina and I are pretty close, we do have dinner and I pick him up every day from school, I was still caught by surprise with this news.  All I remember him saying about this weekend was that he was going to the House of Torment, which did just open on Friday the 13th.  That was cancelled at the last minute and then he said quietly I guess, that he had a dance to go to on Saturday.  Wife had already mentioned a dinner at my in-law's house for her sister's birthday, so this was going to make things interesting.  The Longhorns were also going to be playing, but that is the first thing to go when we get busy.
    I got up early on Saturday, about 9:00am and came down to enjoy the morning.  As usual, I was the first one up, which I enjoy the house nice and quiet, so I can enjoy my cup of coffee without having to get up fr anything.  Eventually Moro, Girlie's dog, came down and although I have been cool with opening the door to let him out to pee, he has been escaping every time he goes out, so I refuse to "help" the dog out.  He is a good dog and stands staring at the door, waiting for it to be opened, but I just did not feel like responding to his shenanigans today.  He had to wait a good while until his owner came down, he can go chasing after him, all he wants.
    Wife came down around noon and she sat there looking miserable and runny, I guess she picked up what was going around back at my mom's house, ughh, I hate getting sick, but here goes another season.  Wife almost decided not to go to see her folks, but she rallied in the end.  I got showered while the boys got dressed and we left around 2:30pm.  We still didn't get there until 4:40pm, with a stop at Wal-greens for a birthday card.  We arrived right after they ate, but the food was still in all its glorious set out.  I grabbed more brisket than I should have along with a big portion of potato salad and ribs, with sausage.  There were people coming and going, but I just sat there and made some sweet love to the meat on my plate, it was delicious slow cooked perfection, my sister in law's BF has mastered the slow cooking brisket process.  We sat there and ate some cake and celebrated until 6:40pm, which was our time to leave.  We all jumped in the car, which I tried my best to stay awake and converse with Wife, but with her being a little sick, she said she would rather we all go to sleep so she could play the radio loud.  I then awoke to the view of our house, we dropped off Javalina without going home for him to change.  This bothered me a bit because we talked about what he should wear and since it was a dance, he should definitely be wearing some shoes and since we spent good money on some blazers, at least for the night, drop the dopey hoodies and put on a proper blazer.  I also told him a long sleeve button shirt and a watch would help him look the part of a man, but all this was ignored over the savings of another 20 minutes.
    I guess all's well that end's well.  He was very happy after the dance and said that although it was a slow and boring start, he almost left the dance to go hang out at Dairy Queen, after we told him not to leave campus, once they got to dancing, he could not stop having a good time.  He said something about taking a girl's set of glasses and running out onto the dance floor and like a reverse Superman, once he put on the glasses, he said he felt like a different person and he didn't care if people looked at him or not.  He started dancing by himself and the girl joined him within a few seconds.  We asked if it was romantic, he said not really, it was just fun.  He danced with both of the girls he and his friend were going to meet there, one being the little distraction from his shotput days last year, so I think he likes her more than he will admit.  He said it didn't end there, he noticed some of his football buddies standing against the wall by themselves and he went out and pulled them into the dance floor, and even got a balloon and started a little game of "volleyball" to get more kids bopping and dancing around on the floor.  Then he added even some of the band kids he had met over the summer were there and saying hi to him, which I guess just made him feel like the life of the party.
    It was probably 11:30 when he called and we picked him up a few minutes later.  I had fallen asleep, shit on the road and even though I turned on the big screen to watch the game while we waitedd fr him, all I did was sleep in front of it.  I am glad I went to hear him tell of his evening.  As soon as we got home, he started showing me how he danced with the girls, by holding both her handsand saying back and forth, it was kind of cute.  This is all I want for my boys, to go out there and have good positive experiences.  It was a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment