Wednesday, September 18, 2019

9/19/19 Back To The Emergency Room?

    Like Boy said, even with our recent luck and we keep getting more money, we also keep finding stupid ways to spend it without gaining anything concrete.  First, it was Boy blowing through my bonus with all his bills after getting mono.  Then, it was Javalina with an emergency root canal that ate up Wife's bonus she got this summer of $1000.  Now, I am on the verge of selling my RV to a fellow worker through a coworker friend.  I have not even seen the money and yet I am sure the quick visit to the E/R tonight will strip me of most of that money.
    Last week I noticed a scab on my leg about 3 inches away from my nasty scar on my leg.  I wanted to mess with it, but I just never had time.  Today, while taking a shower for my last night of the week, I was drying with a towel like I always do and suddenly I saw a red arc, which was blood coming from an opening on my leg right where the scab had been.  In my mind I couldn't see such a big hole closing on its own now that it had started bleeding.  I imagined myself just losing blood to the point that I possibly passed out.  This scared me, and a lot.  If I pass out, at 415 pounds, my boys can't move me.  Even a team on an ambulance would have a bit of a hard time lifting me, if I didn't bleed out all the way, I saw a stream as thick as a straw going from my leg to the wall on the other side of the tub that wouldn't stop and what would you do?  I yelled as loud as I could for either of the boys.  I was standing there naked, just out of the shower, this is not how I was going to be found by some ambulance guys, freaking naked and brown, like a manatee out of water.
    I got Boy to grab some pads and a wrap and wrap my leg to see if that would help and allow me to move around enough to jump in the car.  Instead of starting from above the hole, he started from below, closer to the foot and as he wrapped tight, the blood shot out with more energy.  This was kind of scary, thinking the bleeding wouldn't stop until I was completely empty but once he got above it, it seemed to slow.  The wrap and my leg were now just red and sticky, like a syrup poured over and allowed to dry.  once it stopped, it seemed to stop completely, but what were my options?  Go to work and hope for the best, lay in bed for awhile wait and remove to see more blood gush on the bed or other furniture.  I just hate not knowing what's next.
    I hate the E/R, it is full of people at any hour, but luckily because I was losing blood and maybe because I have insurance, the nurse up front said I would be fast tracked and I was in a room within 15 minutes.  The nurse that came in did not want to remove the bandages, in case the blood would still come.  A few minutes later a very young doctor came in and took the bandages off.  To my surprise and even a little embarrassment, there was no blood or even a hole where I swear I saw a hole covered by a scab of skin.  He determined that the bleeding was from a varicose vein that was cut.  Wife always says my legs are too dry and that I should apply lotion on my skin.  I think today's bleeding was from that problem.  The doctor said if it happened again to apply pressure and wrap it.  They bandaged me up in clean wraps and sent me on my way.
    I felt pretty embarrassed after, but in the moment and seeing that much blood, I thought the best thing is to get help and not die an idiot death alone, trying to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment