Saturday, February 2, 2019

2/2/19 The New Ford Ranger?

    It seemed like such an easy thing to do.  Update it with a look reminiscent of the F150 and F250 with a square jaw up front and people would be lining up to buy this miniature version, but!  I guess they took queues from the lame European vehicles.  They may be smarter and sleeker and able to maintain weights of 120 pounds for men, but we are Americans.  Even our small trucks should have a look of largeness.  I have only seen pictures and videos, they just started showing up in local dealerships, so I already told Wife I wanted to go see one up close.
    I have a certain nostalgia for the little truck as it was my first vehicle.  I found one very basic, but still brand new back in 1991 for the grand price of $7995.  I begged my parents to take me to San Antonio to go look at them as I was on my way up here to Austin and I didn't have my own vehicle.  I think maybe I had $500 for a down payment and we (my folks mostly) paid $223 a month for 5 years.  That little truck was still running last I heard, on its third or fourth owner.  I loved it before I became a family man.  Of course, mine was the single cab with seating across for two and a skeleton in the middle, but we frequently filled it up, sometimes up to four people, those were fun times.
    Nostalgia aside, the new version better impress in person because the Lariat version, with leather and loaded was showing a price tag of $44,995 a couple days ago.  I am sure one can buy an F-150 for less than that, even the Lariat F-150s have been close to that price point.  Ford needs to get  their shit together.  Recently, I even saw nice looking F-250s with gas engines, not diesel, for $38,999.  I'm just saying with those prices, why is someone in the US and more so Texas, going to buy the little guy when the bigger one is in the same price range?
    At least they got a small truck in the game, Chevy and Toyota have been enjoying good sales without the competition and I am sure the look will transform slowly over time to resemble the bigger trucks.  I do have a bias as I love the F-250 truck, and I have noticed that now GMC is kind of trying to copy the look.  Their trucks are looking nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment