Wednesday, July 11, 2018

7/11/18 Javalina Has The Lactic Acid Blues?

    The best thing this week about working days is that I have time to work out with Javalina, as I had promised him we would.  No sooner do I walk in the door in the afternoon, and he is waiting for me to get going.  Monday I walked in and didn't even get my shoes off and he was on me like a fly at a picnic.  It was good, we worked out until his baby muscles cried.  I love that he is the one pushing me.  I keep wanting to come over and sit with Wife to see how her day was, but the little pain kept up with me enough to tell me "Come on, it's your turn."  Since we had touched on the bench press and arms on Sunday, I decided to go with shoulders on Monday.
    To work the shoulders, is to know there are three muscles forming the deltoid muscle on the shoulder, so it is best to hit it from all directions.  I like to warm up the area with something like a military press, where you take a moderate amount of weight and do 3 sets of 6-12 repetitions.  For this press, standing or sitting, lift the weight above your head and back down to a resting state in front of your chest.  After this, then I like to spend time on each of the specific deltoid muscles by lifting a smaller amount of weight forward, for the front deltoid, sideways for the middle deltoid, and the hardest of the three to train, bend over at the waist, forming a 90 degree shape and extend the arms out and above your head.  We then followed this with some exercises with the medicine ball, throwing it back and forth to each other until I had enough.  I kept him at it by himself by having him throw the 20 pound ball up and catch it himself.
    The weakest part of the workout is actual football technique, as I am not an expert in any way on that.  I played in junior high, but I didn't learn anything special then.  We did go out and buy a cylindrical tackling dummy, so we have something solid for him to explode unto and manhandle a bit.
    I came home and pretty much it was the same thing, Girlie was here visiting and looking for some lost mail, and he wouldn't even let me sit and say hi.  She left a few minutes later and we got back to it.  This time it was chest and arms.  We started with the bench press for a good warm up of the chest and stretching of the pectorals.  Turns out, the chest muscles are very important to a lineman.  A good to great lineman is going to keep pushing his competition for 3-4 hours, as long as the game lasts.  We then hit the biceps and triceps equally hard.
    It has been fun, finally having a training partner who I think is going to stay in it and push me equally as I push him.  He has started complaining of the soreness which I told him will last two weeks and then he can start really digging into some interesting possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment