Friday, February 2, 2018

2/2/18 "I'm A Good Dad?"

    Javalina is at a point where he communicates with a  lot of sarcasm and silly teenage humor.  I picked him up as usual and he was hungry as usual.  I told him that because he had whined to mama about not having breakfast stuff, we were going to run to Target, so no restaurant today.  He really didn't like that, but I told him too bad.  For an example of his humor, I started humming "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen after the last three times we passed by the nursing home by our house and there was an ambulance.  This time he started singing it, as he remembered my comment from the day before.  We then happened to see an ambulance in another part of Southpark Meadows and I told him "Look, one of the old farts got that far, but Ole Grim Reaper caught him anyway."  He then says :I wonder if the Grim Reaper hums "Another one Bites The Dust" before he strikes?  I then reminded him that wasn't funny, and he agreed we suck for laughing.
    After Hobby Lobby and Target, I finally got him Panda Express that he wanted, even as I was telling him "fine, I guess dad doesn't eat today."  Every time I eat there I burp and feel disgusting on the inside, so I don't anymore.  At this, he got a little serious and said that "I am a good Dad."  I said "yeah, I know."  He continued, "I am starting to see some of my friends don't have it good like we do, some already don't have their dads around and some say that all the dad does is fight with everyone in the house."  I said "yeah, you are lucky.  I saw it with Boy and his friends too.  Men generally suck, and they want to be selfish or I don't know, but it is hard for parents to stay together, you are one of the lucky ones, I ain't going nowhere, unless ole Grim gets me."
    Sometimes it feels like I am living a boring life, just working and sleeping and coming home.  I can see why some men would run at some point, but then again, I know the boys need me.  I am their anchor and those simple words from Javalina were very nice.  As far as his friends, I am sure some more of them will end up in the divorce pile before he is done with high school.  Boy's friends were 90% from divorced couples.  There was a father here and there, but for the most part, not really.  DD says I have been more of a father figure in his life than his father ever was, and I have only known him since about 7th grade.  Other friends of Boy have said this to me over the years.  I consider it a nice compliment, and they all know I am there to listen to their problems.  I like Javalina being so aware though, about time, usually he is trying to punch me in the kidneys or kick me.

No comments:

Post a Comment