Thursday, February 8, 2018

2/8/18 Institutionally Keeping The Poor Poor?

    Sometimes I get bored and wander through Wife's Facebook, which does nothing but annoy me.  There is way too much prayer and blaming going on, meaning nobody is actually doing shit.  I'll leave the prayer for another day.  I stumbled on a piece about how the US is designed to keep the poor at the bottom of the hierarchy and we should be ashamed about it.  There was a time I would have agreed, to the effect that the US is such a great country and we should be able to provide for our unfortunate people, those who have had a bit of bad luck, and those who just can't make a good decision.
    Lately though, it's more of a fuck you to the poor.  Why is it the government's fault that you can't change your status?  The article mentioned that people become dependent on the assistance and that in itself hobbles people from wanting to improve and risk losing the "free money."  When Wife and I first got married, we were poor and qualified for the big block of cheese, milk, and even food stamps.  Even cooler, the food stamps had just gone to a credit card so there was no colorful money to embarrass us while paying.  There was a moment when we had to decide if we were going to be poor people, Wife was entertaining the idea of us living in a mobile home as a first house, which terrified me.  I always had dreams of moving on up, a la George Jefferson, even as my parents all shake their heads and keep reminding me that I am broke all the time.  Settling is dangerous, it is like saying this is good enough and if I had agreed with Wife that a mobile home was good enough, we might still be in one today, then why work any harder than it would take to make that payment?  Maybe I would have conned myself into letting Wife stay home, which in this day and age I think is fucking stupid.  We are americans, we are supposed to work harder than every other country, that is why we call ourselves number 1.  You can't sit on your fatass and think you're great at anything.  At that point, you're just furniture.
    The people that the article claims we need to save need to start with saving themselves.  Stop having so many goddamn kids, specially if you're dumb, you're just going to end up with a bunch of stupid kids that require more resources than you have.  I believe that if you want government assistance, you should also agree to long term birth control, like norplant.  That way you can focus on some school while your 1st few kids are still young.
    I just hate reading that after we feed and cloth and house a ton of these ne'er do wells, we must figure out how to do more.  When do they become responsible for their actions?  This is why I am starting to lean to the right.  I can't say I am Democrat any more, other than they are keeping the right to choose alive.  I don't want to be an ignorant Republican who leans on an antiquated book for their morality, these idiots suck too.

No comments:

Post a Comment