Saturday, February 10, 2018

2/10/18 In This Corner, Fighting In The Blue Trunks... Javalina?

    As I had mentioned a week ago, I looked into signing up My younger kid to some boxing classes and I managed to find a gym probably a mile from the house.  The internet just makes everything so easy, when looking for stuff.  This is a UFC training place, but they do teach boxing.  I asked the guy working the door what was the difference, and he said kickboxing involves the hands and the feet and Muay Thai is the third form and that loosely translates to 8 points of contact because they use the hands, the feet, the elbows, and the knees.  That sounds cool, but for now, I want Javalina focusing on the boxing movements.
    We were supposed to go last Friday for a free evaluation class to see if he liked it, but he was feeling lazy, so we opted not to go.  Later, he admitted that he felt a bit overwhelmed, knowing he was going to be with adults.  I told him that  he would be matched appropriately with guys his size and probably wouldn't even have any contact.  (I was right, as he experienced this week.)
    I picked him up after school and he said it was a great day, I said good and told him we still had burgers and sausages from last night, so I don't see a reason to go out to eat.  We went home and ate, then he offered to wash the dishes which I liked.  I was then able to take my boxcutter and cut all the boxes that had been piling up all week.  While we were cleaning up he asked if I wanted to box and I said not really, I don't enjoy getting popped.  I said maybe I would hold the punching mitts, he got all excited.  He then said how about if we go this week to the gym.  I said what about your fear or whatever you had?  He said he was fine.  I told him If we go, I am signing you up, he said fine.
    We got there about 6:15pm, the guy who appears to be in charge remembered us and said hey, what happened last week?  I just told him he got cold feet, but he was ready this week.  The guy just told him well come on in, let's get you some wraps, and he was in.  There were 4 people in the class in the beginning, it swelled to about 8 by the time they were done.  There was even a girl that was brand new too.  Javalina said it was weird because the trainer was funny, like when he told him to open his stance, the trainer said act like you have the biggest balls in the world.  He wanted to make a joke but the girl was right next to him.  A few minutes later, I heard the trainer say the same line to the girl though, he just believes in equality, I guess.
    The class was done as a very beginner class, even if the other two guys seemed more experienced.  They all started in a line and would throw a punch and step forward, then some combos and continue working on the footwork, I thought Javalina might have been getting bored of this, but they did also get into pairs and they were practicing moving around each other throwing simple combinations.  I decided to sign him up and pay before the class was done, not sure if he had liked it or not, but deciding that it would be good for him to have an hour of exercise a couple times a week.  The fee is $78 a month, they also had an initiation fee of $99 but when we went the previous week to talk to them, they were having a no initiation fee incentive and I asked him if we could have that, even though we were signing up after the incentive period.  He remembered the conversation and said not to worry about it, which I thought was very nice of him.
    Javalina finished and he was pumped up, said he loved it, and said he was ready for next week.  We'll see how long this lasts, but I am excited to see him doing something on his own and maybe having this place will relieve me of being his punching bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment