Monday, February 12, 2018

2/12/18 Bathroom Solutions?

    We grew up in a house with technically two bathrooms, but in reality, only one ever worked.  When we moved into the house it had a carport and small utility room separated by a little breezeway, after a few years and my parent's insistence on reproducing like bunnies, we were up to a family of six, so the decision was to close off the garage and make it a big bedroom.  The idea worked, except I loved the carport, we could put the hose to it in the summer and would flood perfectly with about an inch or two of water and then we could slide on that concrete like a slip and slide as the finish was very smooth.  Our stomachs would be raw afterward, but it was still fun.
    Anyways, the room was completed and my folks moved into it and I remember at that time, they made that utility room into a full bathroom by installing a stand up shower and plumbing it and everything.  For a few years, it was great, we had two bathrooms.  I guess my folks stayed over there and us kids had use of the main one, no wonder I was able to take my "one hour showers" without being bothered.  At some point after I was out of the house, it stopped working and my Dad stopped trying to keep it going.  I guess with my fat ass out of the house, the rest of them could get by on the one toilet.  I have always hated it, when I go down, as soon as you sit down to poop, somebody is knocking on the door that they need to go.  The worst part is when my brother who has his house next door knocks or my sister who has her house behind my mom's starts knocking, I mean come on, bad enough the one toilet has to manage the three permanent residents plus the four of us when we visit.
    I was watching one of those Restoration Shows yesterday and I saw a solution during one of the commercials.  It is a Saniflo macerator which takes the effluent (poop) from the toilet and runs it through a blade, much like a blender to make it of a smaller composition and then a pump pushes eith er up and out of a basement or down a long system of pipes, up to 150feet.  Other systems with grey water can also be plumbed to it, which means a shower could very easily be running through it, along with a sink.  These are all the components in a bathroom, so it sounds so easy to do.  There is a difference in the toilet.  Instead of the effluent coming out the bottom and into a hole cut in the concrete, it comes out the back to feed into the macerator.  The macerator has a few other optional connections that can be cut out for the shower water and sink.  Looking online, the combo that includes the toilet with back exit and the macerator pump goes for about $950 to $1050.  This is a cheap way to double the bathrooms in your house, shoot if Wife was going to be there another few years, hard to know how long, I might be tempted to buy it on the condition that the bathroom be for Wife's private enjoyment plus if I ever go back down again.  It is actually getting close to that time again.  I promised I would go down more often, so maybe I'll go down and look and measure the potential bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment