Sunday, January 29, 2017

1/30/17 Downtown Austin Sucks Smelly Gonads?

    I had the privilege of driving Wife downtown today so she could scout where she has a conference tomorrow.  I love Austin, but I hate having to go downtown for any reason.  There is nothing but the gathering cesspool of everything that makes a city shitty.  There was construction on 1st or Cesar Chavez Street.  We had to go down a smaller road to get off the frontage and into the downtown area.  It was so nice watching the hipsters and the bro-bro's crossing the street while we had the right of way.  It really has changed downtown from the last time I remember.  There used to be a big empty lot used for parking to go to the Convention Center.  That lot is long gone and yet another tall building is going up in its place.
    We drove around looking for places she could park and did not really see any open places except of course next to the hobo village.  I cannot believe that place is still sitting there hemorrhaging unemployables out every nook and cranny.  I cannot understand the long term goal of this building on 7th Street by the frontage of IH-35.  Last time I remember, this place was exactly the same.  Just an outhouse where people with no place to go end up at.
    I figured at least we could eat somewhere cool, but we tried a restaurant and they were closing at 3:00pm.  Other places we saw just seemed full of hipsters sitting outside and I never like a restaurant that is full of people.  Before I knew it, we jumped back on IH-35 and we were heading south.  I really didn't want to but we ended up at Culver's, because I love their sourdough melts and it is just a little out of the way for us to go eat their during the week.
    Just last week, they had the boat show in the same Convention Center and I did want to go, but the weekend came and went and I got sidetracked by the family visiting.  I am not buying a boat this year, but maybe in the next few years.  I loved the feeling of being out on the lake on any given afternoon.  It felt like really getting away from it all.
    Oh well, it is on Wife, she has to drive downtown in the morning, find parking, probably under the Sixth Street bridge, and walking over to the Convention Center six blocks away.  At least we get to enjoy her here.  Today was nice, she didn't get up and rush off.  We slept in, after getting in late from our run to Crystal City yesterday.  We had a little lunch, even Boy joined us, so it was like we were a normal family for once.
    The rest of the afternoon was a lazy day, I sort of napped, Wife watched her shows in room with me, boys hung out.  We then ate from 1st Wok as we saw a few more shows from the DVR.  We cannot possibly catch up with all the shows we have recorded, but it gives us something to do.  She is here until Wednesday, so that is good.  On a side note, my sister is in town and wanted to get together tonight for dinner, but then called that they were eating dinner as a group over there.  Maybe she can escape with Wife in the afternoon either Monday or Tuesday and have lunch with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment