Saturday, January 28, 2017

1/28/17 The Gift

    What do you give somebody when they have everything and your best effort will probably end up getting exchanged, or worst, lost?  My brother's daughter who pretty much gets everything she asks for and a lot she doesn't even ask at times.  When daddy does alright as a lawyer, what are we going to find and buy that he hasn't already?
    When she was a little younger, it was fun to go in an opposite direction.  When everyone was giving her Barbies because they are the pretty girls doll, we would go with the Monster High dolls, just to change it up.  They were a cool line of dolls, think what Frankenstein's daughter would look like, or Dracula's daughter and in theory they all went to high school together.  As easy as this was, she is now older and outgrown this phase.
    With boys, it is so much easier.  From about 7 to 20, it is perfectly cool to give them a video game of one kind or another.  Both boys play a lot of video games, just yesterday, Chubs was trying to wheel and deal with me "what if I get all A's and B's, can I get a new video game?"  I was like yeah, now go away.  Boy still gets video games as gifts, but it is about all they do, so why not.
    Girls are so much more difficult.  But, all of a sudden, like a ray of light, James Avery has a boutique in Dillard's and that is right up my alley.  It is easy because Dillard's has always been one of my stores, and we can use the store card there.  We ended up using Dillard's for most of the girls on our Christmas list, from both my sisters in law who we each got when we pulled names, to Girlie, to Boys girl friend, to even Wife's nephew, who wanted a chain with a cross.  He already had a chain with a cross by the time he opened our gift, so we traded it for a big goofy bass, which he loved, now that he goes fishing all the time.
    My niece fits right into this store too, as she is in cheerleading, and band, and doing various religious activities, like communion and all that jazz.  Heck, even my Mom likes the bracelets with multi attachments.  We got her a tiny dachshund since she has her Chloe.  It helps that the dog is cool and loving, I never liked her last dog, a Chihuahua that came after you, for no reason.
    We looked at clothing, but decided that would be a waste.  They have a dress code, like Chubs, where they have to wear certain colors for each grade and stick to polo shirts.  What would be the fun then of giving her an outfit she wouldn't wear.
    I'd like to give her books to challenge her way of thinking, but my Mom already hates that both my boys think along my lines when it comes to religion.  Maybe she is safer having thoughts like the majority of people in small town America.  After all, I don't think my brother is going to let her run away to the big city

No comments:

Post a Comment