Sunday, January 22, 2017

1/23/17 Pop-A-Lock, My Friend?

    We had my folks here this weekend and so we went out and had lunch, around 2:00pm.  Because we ate at that hour, by the time we finished shopping at the mall and stopping at Central Market, we were still not really hungry, so we ordered pizza at the house.  It was all good, giving my Dad and I a chance to watch the end of the Spurs/Cavaliers game and the rest of us a chance to just relax.
    Eventually, the pizza came and Wife called for help because there were four pizzas and two other boxes with breadsticks and 2-2 liter sodas.  All was well, we brought everything into the kitchen and then a couple minutes later we got another ring of the doorbell.  The pizza delivery guy somehow or other locked himself out of his truck.  He had left it running, he meant to drop off our food and then he was headed home.  He was at a loss as to what to do.  He asked us if we had AAA so that we could call and act like his truck was one of ours and then the service would have been free.  We don't have the service, not that I would have felt right doing that.  I offered to take him home and pick up his spare key, but he said he lived alone, I also offered to take him to a friend or someone who might have a spare key to his place.  He said he lived alone and his place was locked up pretty good.
    At this point, I wasn't sure what else we could do for him.  We offered him to come inside or if he needed to use the bathroom.  Wife even offered him pizza, if he was hungry.  He thanked us, but stayed outside.  I looked on YouTube to see of there were any good ways to unlock a car while I ate, I remembered seeing a way to do it with a tennis ball.  Mythbusters disproved this method, though, so back to square one.
    We went outside, mostly out of feeling bad for the guy, not that we had any solutions.  He said a friend of his had AAA and he was coming to tell the POP-A-Lock guy that his truck was his, so there would be no charge.  I felt kind of bad for the guy as he said if he had to pay the $75 charge it would ruin his evening as far as all his tips would go to this.  So then the Pop-A-Lock guy arrived before his friend and he got right to work attempting to open the door.  The Pop-A-Lock guy seemed to be a bit of a novice, he could barely figure out what to do.  Eventually he used a balloon thing between the door and the frame and made a hole wide enough to slip a rod in.  The rod thing had a curved end and he used it to catch the door handle and pull on it.
    After about ten minutes, the truck owner asked the guy to let him try and by jumping on top of the truck bed, he was able to pull from a different angle and then got the door unlocked.  At this point, we wished him luck and both Wife and I went inside.  I am glad both my Excursion and my truck have key pads by the door, if I ever lock myself out.  Wife might have this problem one day, this made us have the discussion that she might be better off taking the spare key with her, so it is close to her when she is down there near her workplace.  Actually, we thought about it and because we had a keyless starter added, we have two extra key fobs that turn on the car and unlock it.  We decided it would be in Wife's best interest if my Mom had one of these spares in her house, and I would keep the spare key that opens the doors manually here in Austin.  If she locks herself out either down there or here in Austin, we have a solution a couple miles away.  Boy has a Ford Edge and it too has the keypad, which he said we had already discussed him taking a picture of the code, so he has it on his phone, if he ever locks himself out on campus or at work.  I took a bad situation, and used it as a learning opportunity for us, so sorry for the guy, but yeaih us.

No comments:

Post a Comment