Tuesday, November 3, 2015

11/3/15 Why Don't People Learn How To Swim?

    If there is a god, he sure as heck don't like Bastrop.  A couple years ago he let the fires from hell burn through for weeks it seemed.  Just for fun, he let some more fires get going a couple weeks ago.  Thousands of acres were on fire.  I don't understand, it's as wooded as anywhere east of Austin.  I love driving to Florida, driving through all these tall trees, most of the way, it is beautiful.  But anyway, why is Bastrop more flammable than anywhere else? 
    Well, god or jesus or whoever controls the weather when one is religious let loose with the rains, dammit, it rained more than a foot here in Austin.  What the hell, I understand a good downpour, but twelve inches is a monsoon or something crazy.  The rain came and went, didn't really bother me much here in Austin.  Oh yeah, Girlie called, needed help with her car, I went out there and basically saved her life, but I just got a little wet, no big deal.  This all happened Friday, Boy was pissy because he had plans to go to Wizard Con (like Comic Con...), but Wife told him "you are not to leave the house, streets are flooded all over."  He had a couple of friends over, and he still managed to get to Southpark Meadows a couple times during the rains, but I guess that is alright.  Wife took three hours to get home that evening, 71 was closed, she tried another road and it shut down too, then they were trapped for a time as the water was over the road in front of her and behind, she made it home around 6 or 7 that evening.
    Wife was telling me a horribly sad tale of one of the People that drowned, he was related to one of Wife's coworkers, seems he dove in the rising floodwaters right on his property to get his mother out of the water from her wheelchair, the family forming a chain with each other.  He was on the very end, and not a good swimmer.  After struggling for a bit, he let go and yelled "just take care of my daughter" and vanished into the water.  They found his body the next day along  fence line. 
    That is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time, and if Wife was making it up, someone swiftkick Wife in the brown eye, I hate her telling me stories that make me cry, when I'm just sitting here cool as a cucumber right before work.  I had just been patting myself on the back over working all afternoon in the garage putting the Halloween stuff away.  I wanted to here "oh babe, did you take some ibuprefen so you're not so sore later?", or "are you tired?"  thanks for the Bastrop newscap!

No comments:

Post a Comment