Friday, November 20, 2015

11/21/15 Spanish Radio, Muy Bueno?

    I have recently rediscovered spanish music and even more entertaining, spanish radio personalities.  I am in awe of their boundaries, hearing funny stuff I had not heard in quite a while.  There are two shows I am primarily listening to, one in the morning when I get out of work, and one in the afternoon when I am headed to work.
    In the past, I tried finding spanish stations on my vehicle, but usually the only good reception one was 107.5, out of San Antonio.  When I got my new truck, it came with one of these new radios which also gets the HD radio stations for free.  A random station may have two or three other stations, playing even different formats.  96.7, one of the bigger here in Austin may play the popular pop music, but it's clone station may be playing one of those top 40 hits with Kasey Casum.  It is a much different radio/music experience.  I am not sure if it is because of the HD or it is just a new station, but it is 104.3, out of Taylor, I believe.
    Honestly, I have Sirius/XM free for six months and I still find myself staying on the FM stations.  They feel local, first of all, when they break for commercials or the weather, they are talking about this area.  I also went and bought a handful of new CDs when I got the truck, but it only takes one CD at a time, and honestly, it is a pain to be changing them out every fifty minutes, or however long a CD will go for.
    Back in the 80's, when I started driving back in our small town, all we had was a local radio station, when we went cruising.  Sure, we were all Ozzy Ozbourne fanatics, but those Cassettes and later CDs eventually got old, and you'd switch to the radio.  It was all tejano music, which is slightly different than what is playing here, but maybe the new music is what I need, this banda music with tubas and horns, and just the right amount of risque lyrics really pops.
    What gets me is the DJs, they are the ones pushing the envelope with the funny stuff.  Last time my dad was here, he was familar with those DJs, they have been at it since he was driving the big rigs on the highway five-ten years ago.  He says he enjoyed listening to them, of course.  Birds of a feather, flock together.

No comments:

Post a Comment