Friday, June 5, 2015

6/5/15 I Ain't Got Time For Tools Down?

    In a rare move that pisses me off more than anything, I was sent home early tonight.  We have an arrangement in which I work 48 hours the first week (4-12 hr shifts) and then 40 hours the second week (4-10 hr shifts) or however I see fit to do my schedule.  We have been so busy the last two months that I've been working close to 70 hours every week.  They of course don't like paying me all the overtime, but there are only three of us left that run the toolset I run and I make myself available almost any night, for the benefit of the customer (and my wallet).
    Well, tonight was technically the fourth night of the second week and what I normally do is work 12 hours mon-wed, and assume that their will be work needing to keep me at work on the fourth night.  This works most of the time, I knew I had at least three different jobs to work on tonight, and was basically wondering whether I would be doing something I enjoy or something I tolerate.  Some of the work seems like busy work, we are even doing some "pro bono" (free) work for a customer who is going to do a book with our images.  I do not enjoy doing this customer's work at all because it doesn't add any money to our bottom line, but we get paid, so we do it when told.
    Anyways, the problem was that our tool went down.  We have one tool that we use normally.  When we know it is going to be down, we can borrow another one, but this did not happen tonight, the other company there was also busy and they've had a guy working nights.  He was only going to do six weeks of nights but is not wanting to let go of the extra 15 percent now.  I like the guy but I think I like having access to that tool more, as coming home affected my wallet.
    It was easy for my supervisor to send me home as she is scheduling me to work Friday and Saturday, some customer is waiting until Friday afternoon to send a bunch of HOT work to get done over the weekend.  The other two ladies have commitments (a kid graduating, and a hubby getting a little surgery), so the OT is mine, all mine.... at least for the weekend, plus I had 78 hours last week.  I am an ass, because I was driving home pissed that I was sent home this way, thinking these are my time and a half hours, and I have to go home now?!?!
    Oh well, I can still get to 65 hours for the week, but I don't generally like working Saturday nights. But again, I have two mortgages, so I gotta be a big boy and just work my ass off.  Plus Disney is in a couple weeks now, and I want all the extra cash I can muster, my boys are expensive to entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment