Thursday, April 2, 2015

4/2/15 Happy Birthday To Thee?

    Ay-ya-yai.  God forbid you forget someone's birthday in this day and age.  And with us freaking beaner families, there's a person a day, if you want to extend far back enough.  Here's another catch, when birthdays are during the week, we sometimes celebrate on the weekend.  But you have to also remember to call them on their actual birthday, or you get a big boo.
    Since the start of the year, there has been one birthday after another, we can eat cake every weekend, if we are willing to travel to either my hometown where my family lives or to San Antonio where Wife's family lives.  Fill in the requisite Hallmark Holiday, ie. Valentine's Day or St Patrick's Day and now you know why Mexicans are so prone to diabetes, it's all the birthday/celebration cake.
    We made kind of a big deal with Boy, but he turned 21 this year.  We had both grandparents come up, and whoever else could and we had a big lunch at Pappadeaux, then on his actual birthday, he came down with his roommates and we ate at Longhorn Steakhouse, then he had to party with his roommates the following weekend without his parents.  We figure he'll be done celebrating his 21st bday sometime around Halloween, fingers crossed.
    Here's another one, this weekend we met our in-laws halfway to San Antonio for their anniversary, and had BBQ in New Braunfels, Cooper's BBQ or something like that.  Very good meat.  We tried to do something like this last year for my folks, but Wife tried getting my sister to rally the troops, but she was busy finishing her Master's Degree, maybe this year can be different.  I had a whole leftover tray of brisquet and sausage links which I was secretly salivating cause I was going to enjoy like a fat greedy hog, but we picked up Boy (he was taking a break from his bday celebrating sunday evening) and when we went to drop him off, deadpans, can I have the meat? "Fudge!!, of course Mijo.  I want you to eat"  What else could my fat ass say?
    Of course this weekend is the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, we gots to get our BBQ on with family and break some cascarones, cause Jesus was all about cascarones and smashing people upside the head.  We're in a weird stage though, the older people are all handi-capable so you don't want to abuse them too much and the kids are all babies, so you don't want to whack them on the head and risk hurting their skulls.  There aren't any teenagers, the ones everyone enjoys beating up.
    So Happy Birthday to one and all, if I forgot you it's because I suck, you are the best person that ever did walk the earth.  Your grace and poise belong on television, your velvety smooth voice should be doing voice-over work "In a world...".  All you family members I still don't know your names, I love you, any in-laws I might have forgotten "you're in my heart, you're in my soul...".  All you olden friends with the big hoo-has, I miss and love you all too.

No comments:

Post a Comment