Saturday, April 18, 2015

4/19/15 Are We Too Greedy?

    I am starting to like Mr. Energy Drink.  He has opinions and I am welcome to listen to them whenever I push his buttons.  He got upset last night when we started discussing how we should do more for our planet.  Anything grandiose like that turns me off, as I'm not going to clean along a highway or any of those silly activities.
    He got to a fever pitch when he declared that the only solution per the powers that be is to colonize another planet, such as Mars.  I said that's a good start if we can manage that.  He looked at me like I smelled and said so you are ok with humans going all across the universe using up the resources of every planet we can reach?
    I say yes.  If there are no other smarter beings in this vast universe and we are the top of the pyramid, then yes, we get to do what we want.  His anger comes from knowing that the only people that benefit from things like that are the top 1%.  We humans shouldn't get to consume everything and ruin the planet.  We should be eliminated.  I cannot agree with that sentiment.  Now I do believe that people don't need to have families the size of basketball teams, these families consume way more than their fair share of the planet.  But it is not illegal, much as he points at my Excursion and it is burning a hole in the ozone.  I say maybe, but I am not doing anything illegal.  They could put a painful enough tax on vehicles these size and then I would probably react accordingly, but the state says pay $81 a year and do whatever.  I say cool beans.
    This worked on our house, taxes have climbed to an uncomfortable level, for me.  Somebody else will say, ehh, doesn't bother me.  I say good, buy me out.
    That book on sins was great when it came to greed.  It says humans are too greedy.  We want it all, and we don't care at what cost, as long as we get our way.  We wage wars to gain territories that aren't ours, we steal others' property if we deem it valuable enough, Sometimes we just sacrifice our free time in pursuit of more.  Here I am on a Friday night working twelve hours I don't need to, plus I'll do it again on Sunday night.  This has been an ongoing thing for me going on 18years.  I want money more than I earn, so I come in for OT anytime it is available.  My wife similarly, is on a campus tour overnight.  This pays her extra, which we are planning on using to go to Disney.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, at least for her.  I keep plugging away ad infinitum or they send me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment