Tuesday, May 31, 2022

5/31/22 Getting Compliments On My Ribs?

     We had a little BBQ this Sunday, just to see some of the people we normally visit with in a relaxed setting.  Boy came over to wash clothes and hang out with us, his girlfriend is working weird hours, so he had the day off and nothing to do while she was stuck at work.  When he said he was coming over, I thought it would be a great time to first off, grill.  I had bought ribs the week before after getting such good compliments at the wrestling banquet, I wanted to see if it was luck or if my "new method" was solid and reproducible.  I also weighed on the fact that Boy had not mentioned DD's baby and I feel he should have by now, so I invited him and his family (wife and baby), and I also invited Girlie because she hadn't met the baby either and I just wanted people to tell me my food was awesome.

    I saw a recipe called the 3-2-1 method for ribs, and it involves starting the ribs in a smoker (I use a pellet grill proudly as my tool to smoke) at 250 degrees.  They just go in facing up, with whatever spices you prefer, we like the Salt Lick spice along with Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning, and I personally have started really using HEB's garlic salt.  I am generous with the spices, as a lot of it will fall off just moving them around.  They should smoke for about 3 hours, and then they go into some wrapping foil.  I tried to get away with one layer, but two will hold the moisture better.  For moisture, I add some Dr Pepper, not measured, but enough, I had 4 racks and used one 12 oz Dr Pepper can, and at the end there was just enough for a big gulp to finish it.  I also lather the ribs with some BBQ sauce.  They then steam in the foil for another 2 hours.  At this point, it gets tricky, the recipe says another hour at a higher temperature, say 400 degrees, to sear the outside, with more BBQ sauce, but mine gave me trouble, as when I increased the heat, the grease that had been falling off, lit on fire and everything, including the sausages got charred a bit much.  I took them out after maybe 20 minutes of the higher heat, I did not wait a whole hour.

    I did let the whole meat set up rest after I had grilled it, mostly to give DD time to get here.  I have to say the ribs were just about as good as what I did for the banquet.  Girlie made the joke that she was expecting to bite and hear crunch as usual, when she eats my ribs, but they were surprisingly moist, so she liked them.  Boy chose to leave and not eat; it was a little past 6:00pm and his girlfriend got out of work at that time, but he did take some ribs with him, which is rare for him, he must have liked them enough to take some, he said he would eat them for lunch the next day.

    I can proudly say I can make a pretty good brisket and now my ribs are just about as good too, so I am getting gooder at the cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment