Sunday, May 15, 2022

5/15/22 Finally Fired Up Our New Pellet Grill?

     We had been so busy the last few days, it felt like I bought the grill a week ago before I got a chance to use it.  I bought the new grill on Wednesday after I got out of work early, even before picking up Mijo from school.  I ended up taking him and a couple of friends of his to Lowe's, as I tried stopping with the Escape, but there was no way it would have fit, it really is a big grill.  I then decided to run home and get the Excursion and, on my way, back to Lowe's, my boy texted that he was done doing whatever he had been up to, and to go pick him up.  They went with me, I picked up the grill and then headed to Cheddar's, because this boy is always starving.  We then dropped off his friend who was still with us and headed home.  Wife was just about getting home, she had been at a board meeting, or something, and we all got home as it got dark.

    I assembled the grill Wednesday night, but by the time I finished, it was closer to 11:00pm.  We went to bed because we had graduations the next day.  Thursday was a blur, with the whole graduation thing, we got home around 8:30pm and I was out and asleep early.  Friday was more of the same, this time with Baby A having his powder puff football game, which we showed up for at 3:30pm to his school.  It went until 6:30pm or so, before we headed home.  It was a blast, but again, we were dead tired getting home.

    Yesterday was finally close to a relaxing day, my folks went back home maybe around 2:00pm, we went to go eat lunch, then ran back home, in a hurry, because some of Mijo's friends were on their way.  By the time I got out of the bathroom, they were all there, I asked for a little nap time, around 4:30pm, then we would go get some meat and break in the grill.  We must have napped for 30 minutes because we were up and at the store by 5:30pm.  We got meat and other junk food for a group of boys, then went home.  The grill was still inside, I rolled it out, figured out how to get it going, it seemed to take forever before we saw smoke, but after 20 minutes or so, it was smoking.

    At this point, I needed to let it "burn-in" for 30 minutes or so before putting food in it.  It got late, not going to lie, it was around 9:00pm before we got the wings outside, but at least the boys were eating wings, hot dogs, and sausage tacos before 10:00pm.  I would feel bad, but I know they were up until probably 3:00-4:00am.  The grill performed pretty good; I learned a few things that might be important in using it.  The heat seems to not be centered around the cup where the pellets burn, but more to the right, probably because of the air pushing through.  The left, side closest to the pellets actually seems cooler, I noticed the wings were almost over the fire in the heating cup and there was a drastic difference between the left and right side in cooking/burning effort.

    I think I'm going to learn to really like the grill, once I get a chance to use it for a while.  I wanted to grill something last night and again today (Sunday) because I am supposed to bring a brisket and ribs to the wrestling banquet, and a brisket just needs to be smoked, slow and steady.  I want to make sure the grill can perform like it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment