Wednesday, May 4, 2022

5/5/22 Carry A Key, Always?

     I ran into a real problem today, while trying to drop off Baby A at home, after school.  We have had a deadbolt with a keypad combination for about 3-4 years on our front door and it has never given us any problems, until today.  I had gotten so comfortable, my car key did not have a house key, I figure it makes the key lighter, less crap in my pockets, and if I were to lose my keys or they were stolen, they would only have a key to the car, not the house.  At least these were some of the "pro" reasons to stop carrying a house key.  All that came to a crash today.

    We got home and as usual, I was in a rush to get inside to go pee.  I pressed the code and noticed it didn't make the beep beep sounds, so I waited a few seconds so it would reset, but again, when it resets, it blinks a few times, which it did not do.  I didn't have a key, so all I could do was bang on it, see if it made a difference.  Seeing that this was not going to help, I started thinking about our windows, and which one might be open.

    We hardly open the windows now, with these new A/C units, it seems better to keep them running all the time.  When we do open a window, the one over the sink is usually opened, so we went to look at it, but no, it was locked.  I looked at the other windows in the front of the house and it was the same thing.  All were locked, I guess I do a good job of keeping my house secure.  Mijo mentioned the back, and I thought this would be a good time to find the back door open.  I switched the lock on the fence to a combination lock after young Knucklehead kept having trouble misplacing the keys.  We were able to get into the backyard easy enough.  I was honestly surprised that all the windows were locked, I figured one probably escaped my paranoia.

    My next thought was to talk to my neighbor and see if we could borrow a ladder.  He didn't think his ladder was going to be long enough, and he really wanted to use his saw to cut through the lock on the back door.  I was like "let's give that idea a minute."  We brought his ladder over, and I had Mijo climb the roof of the patio in the back, which affords him access to the windows in our room.  Again, I didn't think I locked those windows, but apparently, they were locked.  I still had a couple more ideas.  I suggested he try the window in our bathroom, Wife likes to open it frequently, such as if she is mopping or whatever.  It was a little challenging to get to, we have fat bushes in front of the house, but I stuck the ladder between the bushes and just told him "Get your butt up there, don't start thinking about it."  We finally got lucky, that window was unlocked, and although it is probably the narrowest one in the house, Mijo still fit in easily enough.  After getting inside, it was easy for him to come back down, and open the front door.

    If anything, this teaches me that even with all this technology, never completely trust it because problems will arise.  I will need to make more copies of the key and add one to all the different car keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment