Friday, May 20, 2022

5/20/22 Preparing For a Feast?

     Tomorrow is the big banquet we have been waiting for since wrestling ended, and we got roped into doing more than our fair share.  It is being held on one of the wrestler's place, they have a few acres (like 12, in town).  The dad wanted a little help setting up the tables, I didn't see why, until the mom mentioned that the dad had hip surgery the week before and he was moving very slowly.  I have to admit I fell in love with the place.  They have 4 acres in which they live on and another 8 acres fenced off in which they keep cows and other farm animals.  On the 4 acres, they have their original house, they are building a new house, they have an entertaining outdoor kitchen, with multiple grills, a bunch of soda coolers, the dad said he bought from a restaurant that had gone out of business, and so much more, I couldn't help but be impressed.  They even have an outdoor bathroom building separate from the house that the man proudly said was plumbed into the second septic system, which will eventually be used by the newer house they are building.  It was really nice to just sit out there and enjoy the sunset, once we were done moving a couple of tables and chairs.

    It is currently 10:30pm, and I will be starting my briskets on the pellet grill here around midnight.  I am a little nervous as it will be a big part of the meal, two other parents volunteered to bring briskets, I decided to add a second one since three didn't sound like enough for a group of around 60 people, according to the coach on his last message.  The dad wanted to tease me a bit saying "so you're a pellet grill man..."  I just laughed and added "I know pellet grills get a bad rap, but I wouldn't even dare try to cook if not for this grill, pellet grill have given me so much confidence."  He added that he has a an electric smoker and it is really convenient sometimes to just put the meat in and not have to worry about it.

    On the way home, we stopped at HEB and decided to pick up a few more packs of sausages, hotdogs, buns, tortillas, bread, condiments, and then stuff to eat for dinner.  Our original plan was to heat some cheap burritos and jump in the pool for a bit, but I guess we are flexible as one needs to be.  I figure the briskets will be about ready in the morning, at least to the point that I can add some racks of ribs to the grill.  We decided we would turn on one of his grills and make the sausages and hot dogs there, which is good because that is a different type of cooking than the smoking of briskets and ribs I will be doing.  Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment