Thursday, May 12, 2022

5/11/22 Bought Another Pellet Grill?

     I can honestly say I tried to keep the first pellet grill going as long as I could, but ultimately, we used the hell out of it in a year and a half.  The grill was a gift from my boys two birthdays ago, right as we went into the whole Covid shutdown.  It didn't seem like it, but we used that grill up to 4-5 times a week that whole year when Baby A was doing school from home, and believe me, we ate really good, a different type of steak most days (until my brother-in-law told me that wasn't a good idea).  It all worked out, prices slowly started climbing on meat, so switching to more chicken and even pork was a money saver.

    Anyways, after changing multiple parts on that grill, the inside started rusting and this last time I could not remove certain screws to replace the ignitor rod, and yes, I tried those reverse screw things that are supposed to drill out bad screws.  I kind of had a change of heart also when looking inside the grill, most of the paint had burned/flaked off from the constant burning, I started thinking we are probably eating some of that paint which can't be good.  This is why I mostly decided to just get a new grill, which I did, yesterday.  Honestly, I was going to buy the same unit I had, figuring I had a bunch of spare parts for it, in extra auger motors, and ignitor coils, not to mention the new control board I had ordered.  Lowe's was out though, and they have been out of most grills, like everything everywhere now, it seems.  This made me look at other brands.

    I decided to get a Pit Boss, not because I care about the wifi connectivity, but mostly because it has a 5-year warranty, which I will make sure and set up, these grills are a bit finnicky.  Set up wasn't too bad, once I got the legs on, that was not easy doing it alone.  It was also a bit heavy getting it off the Excursion and into the house, but luckily, I have a big boy around, Mijo pretty much manhandled it onto the dolly and rolled it inside.  I probably spent an hour putting it together while Wife sat on watching TV their close to me.  It is now fully assembled, I just need to get rid of the packaging, so much cardboard, it is hard to imagine how the grill fit in the box with all that packaging they put in.

    I will try to grill something this weekend to start getting it prepared.  I am supposed to grill a brisket or two for the wrestler's party next week.  Between this and summer is coming, so we will start grilling more than we already do, which is at least once a week, I need a dependable grill at the ready.  Charcoal has been a good back-up but once you get used to the convenience of a pellet grill, I don't really want to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment