Friday, January 15, 2021

1/16/21 Baby A Is A Good Lineman?

     It is hard to gauge these things sometimes, for a lineman, it is not like my nephew who we hear weekly it seems, that he scored a touchdown here or ran for 100 yards there.  A lineman only hears his name when he makes a mistake, so it is a position with not much glory and when the team doesn't win a lot of games, it can be even harder to find a way to shine.  Still, my boy loves being in the trenches, even when he lost weight and I was pushing for him to try and challenge to be a linebacker, they tend to be the studs on defense, he said no, he belongs with the big boys, even if he is the shortest in the group.

    Well, his dedication to his position paid off, he was selected for the all district 14-5A Division II B team as an offensive lineman.  I think that is a huge honor for a sophomore who played half the season telling me he had played so poorly he would get booted to junior varsity.  I was a little worried for him, when the linemen all line up, he is a good two inches shorter than the rest of them, but he keeps insisting he is stronger than most of them and I think his size makes him fight harder, he is constantly trying to prove he is bigger than his stature.  He is a strong kid, he is constantly like a ram trying to push on me and although I can hold my own, mostly because I weigh around 360 pounds, he makes the most of his 240 pound size.

    He went from hardly playing at the start of the season, which sucked because my mom was only able to attend the second game of the season and he only played like two plays that night, to becoming a starter on offense and playing on both sides of the ball after the first six weeks and about half the team failed.  The team at the end of the season was down to around 22 kids, so a lot of them were playing ironman style and going both ways, which my son really likes.

    The list was put out by their new head coach who presented the information in a zoom meeting which he was trying to involve us, the parents.  I was only able to glance at the presentation because my boys were yelling at me to go to my room and quarantine.  The coach has new ideas of restarting the booster club which this school seems to need.  We go to the games and it is a little sad that there are only a handful of parents present.  I really wish the whole school would rally and show up, they play on Friday nights, what else do kids got going on?  All I know is after, Baby A was proclaiming to the coaches that he was proud of being on the list and he would make them proud and get on the A team for next year, I hope so, he keeps saying he wants to play at the college level.

No comments:

Post a Comment