Saturday, February 1, 2020

1/31/20 Boy Was Furloughed?

    I was out this morning after a hectic week, I went out pricing some saxophones to possibly get so I can play with the San Marcos Orchestra.  As I got home around 11:30am (I had been at work until about 9:15am), I noticed both Boy's car and Sweetie's there in the driveway.  I thought of telling them that this habit of sleeping all morning was not helpful to becoming successful adults and that you have to go to work regularly or they might actually fire you.  Then after thinking about it, I realized stuff like that is why they wanted to get their own apartment and I don't think they are ready for that, so maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut.
    I wasn't sitting at the kitchen table for more than two minutes before Boy came down and told me he had just finished getting furloughed along with everyone else in the company.  I was as shocked as him because two weeks ago his company Nano announced that they were buying some other big company (I don't want to talk about their inner dealings) and it sounded like they were on their way to mega successes.  Now, they are all pretty much out on the street having to start over.  I guess as Wife said "you said you like working for start-ups, well this is one of the negatives, that they are not going to necessarily succeed, long term."
    Boy was a little stressed as it had just happened, but he is more than ok, I told him "at least you didn't buy that Tesla you went and tested, where would you get $900 a month?  Or move out.  I know as a young couple they would prefer their own apartment, but, as we kept saying, neither of you has a degree, save up some money first, I don't want them struggling like we did.  A $1200-$1500 rent note would be very stressful and might have forced him to do something he might not want to, like go back to work at Alamo Drafthouse.  Worst case scenario, we just keep doing what we've been doing and we keep paying for his Ford Edge, it has been a fine little SUV for him.
    I say this is a good opportunity at this point, he being only 25, he can focus and realize it is quite important to finish his degree, this company wanted him full time and they were not that concerned about him finishing, but now he gets to see that it is more helpful to have the degree when applying to other companies.  He can focus on that, apply at so many other places, luckily this is Austin, home of the high tech worker.  The 70K they had offered him actually made him the lowest paid of is group of friends that are working with their degrees, so maybe he ends up making a little more with a more established company like a Dell, or Intel, maybe even AMD, they are all around here.
    I was furloughed for 5-6 months back in 2008.  Eventually we all came back to work, and it was funny that after they said we should consider ourselves lucky to have our jobs, we picked up a big contract and in short time we went through a period of about three years of non-stop OT and making the most I ever made working where I do.  I guess I believe things could change and they might call him back like they did with us.  Either way, Mijo is good, we got his back.  He is a hard worker, I am sure he will find something else ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment